Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hope I didn't start it too soon :(

Options
Walter
Walter Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Usually a Boston Butt takes me about 20-24 hours. This time I elevated a 2nd grid with the plate setter and put 2 butts on the Egg at 1:30 this afternoon... planning on the 20 hours to pull them off tomorrow around 11 AM for our son's HS grad party. I know they'll plateau... but it's 9:30 PM and they're both 158-161 and the dome has been 240-265 steady. Been pretty tough keeping the temp below 250... probably due to leakage around the 2 polder foil wraps... and my partially non-existent gasket. I'm hoping to get the temp down to 230 and hold it there overnight... and I'm hoping the meat holds this plateau for a looooooooooong time. Otherwise, I'm pulling pork at 4 AM !!![p]Just in case this wraps up much earlier than I expected... how long will they stay hot in the cooler wrapped in foil, towels & paper? The longest I've had to hold one in the past was about 1.5 hours. The party starts at 2 - that's why I was shooting for the 11AM - noon completion.[p]Thanks,
Walter

Comments

1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    Walter,
    20-24 hours? How big is that puppy? I usually get 7-8 lb butts from Sam's. That will be 12-14 hours for me at 225-230. I take them to 200 internal.[p]I've held briskets and or butts for 3-4 hours with no problem. I have a bunch of different size coolers, so I use the smallest one to accommodate however many I've cooked. Of course, preheat with hot water. I fill it about 3/4 full for 30 minutes or more.[p]Even after 4 hours, they will still be too hot to handle barehanded.[p]And yes, the plateau will last for hoouuurrrsss. It will still climb rather slowly through the 170's. After they hit 180, it's only gonna be a couple more hours to 200. Or at least, that's my experience. YMMV.[p]I think you will be better off foiling (after they come off the pit) to hold for a while, rather than going from pit to table.
    Howard

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I'm all ya get tonight, I think (MDT here). A couple suggestions ...[p]Someone wrote about an emergency gasket substitute, which was a cut-off, wet t-shirt as I recall. It just might work. It seems like I've heard of people holding their butts (foiled, wrapped in towels, place in a cooler) for five hours or more. You could possibly monitor the temp with your thermometer. Never heard of anyone doing this, but why not? Latly, if you think it's done and all else fails (or you don't trust anything else), I'd put them in the frig, reheat just before you need them, then pull them. You could pull them, then reheat but I think the moisture would hold up better puttin them in whole. [p]Now, someone can tell me I'm all wet.
  • Walter
    Options
    1044,[p]They've usually been 6 or 7 lbs. I think it used to take so long because I held the dome at 210 and the meat was on the grid right on top of the fire-ring. After learning all the cool laws of thermodynamics and temp differences between grid & dome... it was clear I didn't have the meat hot enough to cook any faster.[p]The good news is the fire survived the evening... woke up to a nice & toasty 235 - and the plateau held as well. The smallest is at 171 and the other at 158. Raised the temp to ~260* and they are slowly climbing. Just 3 or 4 hours to go and the smallest is up to 186 & the other at 176. Looks like they'll finish up in plenty of time and I'll be able to keep 'em in the cooler for maybe an hour or two.[p]Thanks,
    Walter

• Walter
    Options
    Pakak,[p]Thanks for the info. Finally got it down to 215 then brought it back up to 225 before calling it a night. Woke up this morning with dome at 235 and the smallest butt at 171, the larger at 158. Dome's up to ~260 and the temps are rising... looks like good eating today !!![p]Walter