Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the best BBQ sauce

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know that this is quite subjective. I like "Bone Suckin Sauce". Must admit that I have never tried Blue's Hog or Carnivour. and I need to. But I was wondering what others thought of their favorite?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Totally personal preference.Just like Ice Cream flavors.There is no BEST.It's what you like! ;)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I like a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog and Carnivore, but lately Sweet Baby Ray's Chipotle has been my go to. Also, Cattlemans Classic, is indeed a classic.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    A lot depends on what your putting it on but my go to sauce is Carnivore sweet.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You ever tried Cattleman's Steakhouse on brisket?????!WOW!It is all I will serve with brisket! ;)
  • Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Options
    I like blues hog to glaze my ribs and Rudy`s Bar B Q Sause for everything else.
  • Matt_in_the_OC
    Options
    In my opinion this is perfect:

Neelys BBQ Sauce

2 cups ketchup
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    5 tablespoons light brown sugar
    5 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 tablespoon onion powder
    1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Yield: 3 1/2 cups

Source:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/down-home-with-the-neelys/barbecue-chicken-recipe/index.html
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    It seems to me it's really a thing by region and just what meat you are putting it on. I'm not much on the real sweet stuff though. Most I've tried are fine to great, just don't like sweet jelly types on my BBQ. Mike
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Options
    I agree with the regional comment. Yet I have to say that while working with brisket over the years I really like a mustard BBQ sauce on brisket. I know that regionally these should not match yet i do love the flavor profile. Hoss
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I also agree that it is very much a regional and personal taste thing!
    I really don’t care for any of the stuff on the shelf at my market :( . OTOH, I do want to try Carnivore, Blues Hog…Perhaps a few others I’ve heard about here on the forum too!
    I’ve had a sauce down in the KC area (actually Spring Hill) that fired up my buds pretty well, but I have no idea what it was. Maybe their own.
    And…With that thought: Here is my own, that the family loves.

DAD'S BBQ SAUCE
    Dad's Kitchen
    From JB

3 C. crushed tomatoes (tomato sauce will also do)
    1 small onion, grated
    1-1/2 t. prepared, crushed garlic (about 4 to 5 fresh cloves)
    1/4 C. cider vinegar
    3 T. Worcestershire
    2 T. olive oil
    1-1/2 t. dry mustard
    1-1/2 t. paprika
    1/2 t. cumin
    1 t. Pickapeppa Sauce
    2 T. brown sugar, packed
    1 t. liquid smoke (optional, but works great if your cookin’ in the kitchen oven)

!)) Combine in a heavy bottom sauce pan; tomatoes, onion, garlic and vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer.

2)) Add all the remaining ingredients, except the sugar and smoke, simmer to your desired thickness.

3)) Add the sugar and smoke, continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes (or desired thickness, if the sauce thins too much from the added ingredients)
  • EggZactly
    EggZactly Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm from the KC area and really like Hayward's BBQ sauce. Gates is also good. But can't get those where we live now.

Our neighbor has family from the Carolinas, and introduced us to South Carolina-style BBQ sauce. Interesting!

Our favorite, get-it-at the store brands are Cattlemans and Sweet Baby Rays. Some of Famous Dave's BBQ sauces are also really good.

I have lived in different parts of the country, and am always amazed at the regional variation. Slabs of ribs with spicy tomato-based sauce (KC), shredded pork with a vinegar sauce (NC), mustard-based BBQ (S. Carolina), and the famous Lexington, NC style BBQ. Wow.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Not only is it very subjective. My favorite sauces today, are not the same favorites I had last year. Either my tastes are changing frequently :woohoo: :woohoo:, or I'm finding better and better sauces out there. :P
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    Blues Hog and Carnivore Robust are my "go-to" sauces. Try them both. B)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    tell me about this blues hog and carnivor bbq sauce you all speak of?
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    http://www.blueshog.com/website/main.html but don't order from them. Order it from here. http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/

For all your carnivore needs go here.

http://www.carnivorebbq.com/