Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig Question

Options
ThunderBunny
ThunderBunny Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm just about to spring for the AR/spider combo. Being relatively new to the Egg world, I'm just now starting to get used to how cooker works with it's OEM parts. What do I need to know about how my cooks will change with the Rig?
I know this thing (the AR) is a valuable tool, but I'm not quite sure yet why it's so valuable :lol:
What's the best advice you guys have for AR newbies?

Comments

• mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    The AR is a thing of beauty to behold, and it will forever change your life. Not only will you be able to maximize your eggs cooking capacity, you will be able to cook in ways that the egg alone will not accommodate. Make sure you get a stone to use on the Spider as a heat diffuser and you will have the capability of the egg platesetter without the bulk and fragility. I use my AR probably 90% of the time I use the egg. I have also added to it with the slide guide set up so I can do maximum amounts of ribs, Tasso and smoked chicken thighs(the thighs I use as ingredients for pasta dishes). Not to mention the customer service from the Ceramic Grill Store is untouchable! I think the AR should come with the Egg when you buy them, they are a perfect match.
  • mental1
    mental1 Posts: 60
    Options
    I have to agree. I'm a rookie, and with the spider/AR combo I've already done a spatchcock chicken, pizza, ribs and doing a brisket this weekend. The height of the AR makes it possible to cook chicken and other more delicate foods like pork loins direct without the fear of over charring the food. The 13 inch stone on the spider does great job diffusing the heat for indirect cooks. My first pizza, I used the spider with the 13" stone on it, the AR and then put a pampered chef stone right on the rack and cooked a perfect pizza the first time. It's a beautiful thing indeed.
  • ThunderBunny
    Options
    Mental, isn't it hotter up in the dome which messes things up? Also, if you have a rack of ribs up top and one underneath, do they finish at different times due to slightly different temps??
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    In addition to what the others have said, I like to cook on the top level of my rig because it gets you further away from the coals and allow more room for error. It seems I'm always doing multiple things when I'm cooking, so I don't have to watch the grill quite so closely. It's a great tool. I, too, use it all the time. In fact, unless I'm searing a steak with my CI grid, I almost never use my wire rack right on top of the fire ring to cook anything.
    Brian
    PS-The drip pans from the Ceramic Grill Store are pretty handy, too.
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    I just ordered the AR/spider/oval grid combo and a drip pan yesterday afternoon. Looking forward to the added flexibility that will provide.
  • mental1
    mental1 Posts: 60
    Options
    In my view, the higher in the dome you are, the closer you are to the dome thermometer, which gives you a more accurate temperature reading. Additionally, the air is circulating up there more so you get a rotisserie effect. I did a very large chicken breast last night at 400 for 22-23 minutes and it was just as juicy and moist as it could be.

As far as racks of ribs on different levels, the maker of the AR suggests you rotate the levels of the ribs as you cook. In other words, if you are using two levels, rotate once during first step of cooking, if you are using three levels rotate 1/3 through first step of cooking.You can use the sliding rig set up to help with this.

Here is the link to the sliding rig info: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=228