Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Gears.. mixer

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well my kitchen aid (ka) is on the fritz again. i replaced the worm follower gear a week ago. i made a batch of bread and it locked up on me. well no biggie i have been into this thing a couple times. i ordered a worm gear it came in the mail today. well when i got into the ka i found metal shavings. i did not find any last time. i scraped all the grease out last time. and replaced it with food grade grease. this time i have scrapped all the grease out i can. but do not have any idea what to do to clean the other gears. my dad would have soaked them in gasoline.. but i know better. i was thinking about using isopropal alcohol but not sure if that is the right tool..

so that is my problem. if any of you out there have had this problem please give me some ideas. i know this is sorta ot but i don't go to the ot forum and i am sure there are others like me. and i wanted some good exposure to this question seeing as i spent $499 on this thing 6 years ago and do not have that kind of money these days.

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Warm-Hot water with LOTS of DAWN dighwashing liquid.Soak,wash,rinse, relube, reassemble.You'll get better answers but that is what I would use.Dawn cuts grease really well.HTH! :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    not knowing the configuration and ease of access but how about using either a heat gun or even a good hair dryer to melt the grease and let gravity remove it? OTOH I'd probably have been like your Dad, soak that sucker in gasoline! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Do you smoke? If not, listen to your dad. He knew what he was talking about. ;)
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Hey there,
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • BENTE
    Options
    that is funny i like hoss's answer so far the best but thanks ron..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    yea i am not sure using gas around my family's food. if it were just me they would already be in gas :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    hi pal!!

it has been awhile since i spoke to you

hope you are well

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    sorry i forgot to reply to you. well when i started cleaning the parts to put in the dishwashing solution i found my problem. sheared a diffrent gear not the one i ordered :angry:

so it is on the shelf for another weekend :angry:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I would use gasoline. Gasoline evaporates and only leaves its impurities behind. After the gas clean then clean the residue off with the alcohol and there should be no contamination issues with your mixer.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Hoss
    Options
    RATS!!! :angry: I hate that for ya!It happens to me ALL the time! :(
  • Hoss
    Options
    Starting fluid is good too.And the can is pressureized so it'll blast it out of nooks and crannys.That's all Gunscrubber is,high priced starting fluid. ;)
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Very ironically, and coincidentally, this morning I was on the Cooks Illustrated forum reading about the sad stories of some folks with plastic gear drive problems.
    (Nobody mentioned how to clean out the old grease though)
    It's hard to get an inkling of how many people this actually happens to, but it seemed fairly common.
    I'm bumming. :( Now I'm worried about mine, after reading all the stores, about folks mixing dough...
    I do know my grandmothers (from the 1940's or 50's) still works though. Of course I gave it to my brother! :angry:
  • BENTE
    Options
    that makes alot of sense i hope we will get many perspectives on this. using gas sounds simple enough but i wonder if mike in abita could confirm the validility of everything evaporating except the impurities....

my wife just walked by and said to use a cheap half gallon of vodka :blink:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i did this iver a couple years of misreading a wheat bread recepie. and a portugese sweet bread that was very thick and the parts are relativily inexpensive. the grease was more expensive but they gave me enough grease to lube a hundred ka mixers

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    well you ought to be good at fixing these things :laugh:

i tried to use the dawn to clean my hands but was unsuccessful so i have not cleaned the parts yet. and will proabably look for another way... sorry that was a gtood idea but i figured if it could not clean my hands then these gears would be worse... thanks for the thought ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoss
    Options
    Sorry,It was a shot.The starting fluid should surley work.
  • BENTE
    Options
    with my wife's health issues i am leaning away from using petrolium products

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoss
    Options
    I understand.You may Google organic degreasers????
  • BENTE
    Options
    i checked the google sites at least 10 of them but did not see anything i could just go out and buy.. i was hoping for creative answers and have go several of them. but the wife just chimed in and said why not go to the resturant depot tomorrow :blink:

so that is where i am at so far tonight

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoss
    Options
    Great idea,Wiffey! ;) Good luck!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I can't see how gasoline would have any ill affect. All the parts are inside the casing anyway. Use it to clean the crud, then just wash off whatever residue is left with dish soap. Simple Green is pretty good too.

However, if these gears are plastic and you decide to use gas, I would suggest you clean one of the broken parts first - just to see if it softens the plastic.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    You can try a bicycle shop for detergent based chain cleaners. If you want to buy on-line I would go to "Bike Nashbar" http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/TopCategory_10053_10052_200293_-1_200278_N
    The Orange based ones have worked on my bicycle chain better then gasoline.
    For plastic gears I would not use a grease that is not intended for plastic as many greases will damage the gears. Look for "anderol" or "plastislip".
    TTFN WLL
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    Options
    what do you guys think of acetone? It evaporates super quick and dissolves grease on contact .... worth a shot lol I hope my KA mixer last s longer than 6 yrs they aint cheap
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    We’re talking metal gears here right?
    Cause plastic stuff can be made into “mush” with some solvents!! If they are plastic, use the Dawn and hot water ;) !!
    As for metal, and for whatever its worth, I’m in the gasoline camp...Somewhat.
    BUT, use white gas. It has no additives, cleaners, nothing!
    It will defiantly cut the grease...I use it on my XC skis to remove “kick wax” and that **** is really tough stuff.
    How can a guy go wrong...Going with gas? :whistle:
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    You might try Simple Green. It's a pretty good degreaser. DH uses it to clean new tools (like his mini mill, new bits, etc., that are coated with oil and grease to prevent rusting) and it does an amazing job. The bottle says it's non-toxic.

To evaporate any water droplets after cleaning (before applying new grease), something like the cheap vodka is a good idea - we used really high proof ethanol in a thin films lab I worked in to getter all the water after wet cleaning.

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Terry - Wipe away any excess grease and clean the rest using mineral spirits (paint thinner) and then use a strong dish detergent.
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks to all of you that have replied. i am sorry i did not reply to you individually. but i do thank you for your imput..

well i went to the auction this morning and did not check the forum. but i did stop by the resturant depot. i decided that would be the place to find something. well i did. i found professional strength easy off oven cleaner. it was the only thing that i found that i thought was good enough for my family. it also has the nsf symbol on it. there were only two things there with that!! i figured if it was good enough to clean the oven it was good enough to use in a gear housing.

once again thanks to all of you who responded ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Bente, Can you post again, letting us know how it worked, after you try it?
    As often as I read about folks fixing their K.A. lately, if your idea works well, it would be helpful info to have.

(I know gasoline MIXED with oven cleaner! ;) )
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I think you made the right choice.