Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just bought my first egg...but I have a problem

Options
boston_stoker
boston_stoker Posts: 794
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

I bought a large egg over the weekend from a dealer, but I am missing parts. To be fair, the dealer unexpectedly had to go to the hospital for his parents, so I think he was a bit flustered to say the least.

That being said, I think I am missing parts, which is quite annoying. Before I go back to the dealer, I wanted to ask here what I should expect to get with a new egg.

I got the following:

1.) A large big green egg base
2.) A large big green egg dome
3.) Felt gasket installed on dome and base
4.) Firebox
5.) Firering
6.) Three shoes
7.) Ceramic damper for top of dome
8.) Metal draft door installed in base

I did not get anything else. I think I should have also gotten:

A.) Big Green Egg Manual
B.) Big Green Egg Instructional DVD
C.) Fire Grate for Large Egg (holds the lump charcoal at the bottom of the Fire Box).
D.) 18" Porcelain Coated Grid
E.) Spring Assisted Band for Large Egg

So I have the following questions:

Am I right that I should get as part of the egg items A - E?
Should I get Dual Function Metal Top or is that an add-on?
Should I be getting anything else that I did not list?

Thanks everyone for your help. This forum is fantastic and definitely influenced my decision to get an Egg.

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Yes to A-E

Also, hinge? Warantee/registration form?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    yep you need all those things, there was probably one more box he missed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Oops, apparently read A-D, but not E. Nevermind. :lol:
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You should have gotten all A-E items plus the metal top. The registration for your warranty is in the manual.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    I was going to mention DFMT but egret beat me to it. Also, make sure you get the handle to open to dome, don't remember if it's separate or already attached to the dome band.

Gary
    canuckland
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    When I have been at my dealer, I have noticed everything comes in 2 boxes. I know the big stuff comes together in the larger box. I suspect there is a box you need to get from him. It is probably the size of an XL pizza box and 3 times deeper. The hinge, grate and other things should be in there.
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    As stated, you should have received all of that.
    Some dealers do even more. With my LBGE, I also got:

1) 20lb bag BGE Natural Lump Charcoal
    1) box Fire Starters
    1) Ash Tool
    1) Grill Gripper
    1) Billy Bar Rack Cleaner

Plus 20% off of future BGE accessory purchases.
    (It was a labor day special a couple of years ago)
  • Bonehead
    Bonehead Posts: 113
    Options
    What you're missing is called and "Eggessory kit" it comes with the egg and has all of that, including the dual function metal top.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    If I remember correctly all of the stuff on your list might be in a box you did not get.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sounds like you are missing the "Eggcessory Kit", which is not really accessories, but major components of the Egg itself. It should all be in the other box.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Similar thing happened to me. I bought the first egg my dealer had sold. They had no idea what was supposed to go with the egg. I had to go back and pick up the 2nd box with the accessories.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    You should get the ash rake tool as well, I believe.
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Dimple's Mom wrote:
    You should get the ash rake tool as well, I believe.

Some dealers may throw it in, but it doesn't come with the egg. When I bought my large, the dealer threw in a bag of BGE lump, grill gripper, and a box of starter cubes.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Insist on getting the rest of your stuff, If he himself isnt in the hospital there is no excuse for not getting you everything that you need.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your partial purchase. :)

In its current state, your BGE is pretty much useless. You NEED the band that holds the two halves together. Otherwise all you have is two big expensive ceramic pots. You also need the fire grate because you do not want to build a fire on the bottom floor of your BGE. Probably would not hurt the egg but would burn anthing the egg is sitting on. You also need something to cook on, so the porceline grate is kind of important. Of course you could just roats marshmallows or some dogs on hangers. However, those cooks are not really maximizing BGE utilization.

Good luck. Let us know how the set up is once it is complete.
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    OOOOOOHHHHHHHH, I'll cook later.
  • 427sohc
    427sohc Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Do you mind if I ask what dealer you used and what you paid for the egg? I'm in southeast Mass. and got my Large Egg, nest, mates, lump and starters, grill gripper and ash tool for $810 pre-tax last August from a dealer in Lakeville.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    That is a pretty good price. I called 15 - 20 places. The Pool & Spa Center in Lakeville did not answer their phone when I was calling.

Most places said the Egg was $750. Two places said $700. I got mine tax free as well for $669. I also got a large table for the large egg for $400. I could have built one cheaper, but I just don't have the time. It looks like Lakeville offers that for $1149 along with some extra stuff I did not need.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Tweev, where did you end up buying your BGE?