Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Toy Arrived

Options
BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Look what the mailman delivered the other day. A birthday present from me to me.
P1020898.jpg

Cheers,

BeerMike
I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Mike,
    Where did "me" get it? :huh:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Evidently "you" think "you" deserve it. :)
    I like the idea of those alot. Maybe I will buy one for myself for my birthday.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Looks like the Lucy Eggor used to make except his was the whole door. I've had one for about 5 years but never use it. -RP
  • BeerMike
    Options
    I purchased it here.

Micro-Adjuster

Cheers,

BeerMike
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Interesting. I've never had any problem regulating the temperature from 180-275 using the standard sliding door.
  • BeerMike
    Options
    I have not had any issues controlling temps either. I just wanted to try this thing.

Cheers,

BeerMike
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Well, like Thirdeye says on his website ... it would be a lot easier keeping a log of cooks being able to say "two of the holes were open" instead of "the bottom vent was open about 3/8th of an inch". I would suspect reproducing the same settings with this item would be much more precise. :)
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I have one too but I completely forgot who gave it to me. (Senior Moment)

I use mine all the time. It works well.

Spring "Little Holes Mean A Lot" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    His name was Scott and Eggor was his handle, he kind of disappeared from the forum after getting a divorce. The only reason I don't use it is my low and slow cooks are done with the Guru. -RP
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I agree with you on this one. I buy almost anything. Other than just wanting one, I don't understand this one.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I agree, although there are other variables besides vent settings.
    When I first started Egging and referencing this forum, the terminology "width of a credit card" was commonly used in reference to the lower vent for lo/slo cooks. I would think to myself, "2 inches seems awfully wide". I assume the thickness of the card is what was meant, but to this day I still dont get it. My lower vent is usually about 1/8" which is way thicker than a CC.
  • it just makes it visually easier, that's all. the egg itself works fine, but this is just a little more alcohol-friendly :whistle:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive got two larges, one runs at a credit cards width at 220 dome, the others about a quarter inch, each runs a little different. add to the fact that the cc rule doesnt apply as much nowadays because we changed the low and slow temps to help newbies with overnights :laugh: *(that may not all be true but it sure seems that low and slow number changed one night when i wasnt looking)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hey Mike,
    Some people will kick an idea in the head for no real reason. Don't let them get you. After many cooks my vent door does not move in small amounts very well. At least it takes two hands. One to hold the screen door and one to try and slide the vent door just a tiny amount open or closed. Most of the time it jumps past where I intended and I have to slide it back. All the moving around ends up breaking up my good grease seal built up around the vent and now I'm back to square one with the added air now leaking around the vent.
    Your new vent door solves those problems. I'm sure you will like using it.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bacchus
    Options
    So Fish, what does "width of a credit card" mean?
  • eggor has his *ss handed to him by more than a few people who didn't merely say "it's not for me", but who were openly hostile (verbally anyway) about the whole idea of even proposing such an "improvement"

all he did was take the daisy idea and put it on the lower vent. it's visual, really.

you do NOT need the daisy wheel to dial in temps, but it makes for a consistent point of reference, and allows you to control things minutely if you want. you can use the ceramic top, and you'll be fine. but the daisy is a bit easier, and takes less fidgeting.

he adapted the idea for the lower vent, that's all.

my egg sits right on the ground (well, very low, on a paver). i'm not exactly old or out of shape, but i frankly find "lucy" (the lower vent mod) to be the kind of a thing where i reach down, and slide it open to show, say, two and a half petals open. done.

don't need it, it's just a nice consistent reference point.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    as thick as a credit card and thats always fine tuned up or down. kinda like how long does it take to cook a steak. some want exact numbers, maybe the reason someone started it, i would have said thickness of a dime and if it needs a little less or a little more make an adjustment, but some just dont want to hear that
    fukahwee maine

• BeerMike
    Options
    Darian, Like yours, my vent door doesn't move like it did when new. The vent is difficult to move a tiny amount. That's not why I bought this thing but it might solve that issue.

Cheers,

BeerMike
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    looks great, hope it works well for you.....I have been very fortunate in that I have had no problem controlling temps with the top and bottom vents :)
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Ok, thanks. FWIW, my large and the other larges I have cooked on would be choked down below 200 with lower vent set at credit card thickness.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    When I bought my first Egg, Lily Large, back in 1999 the store did not tell me it was supposed to have an adjustible metal cap. All I got was a ceramic rain cap.

For the first year I just cocked the rain cap up and back and adjusted the temperature from below. I could be very precise and it would hold that temperature for hours.

When I learned how to post photos someone noticed the cocked rain cap and said I need to get a daisy wheel. Even then it was a while before I got one.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Egg is so well designed that you don't need all those gadgets to make it work. They just help make it work better.

Since then I have accumulated a bunch of gadgets and like using them. But even with all my toys I think I could do a pretty good job of cooking without them.

Spring "Toys Will Be Toys" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I have always questioned the "credit card" thing too Ron. Both of my larges hold 250 at about 3/16 to 1/4 open depending on weather conditions(summer/winter). I would probably kill my fire at credit card width open.

Mark
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    That is very nice I want one
  • fishlessman
    Options
    just changin to a different bag of lump changes it. you can close it to the point that you can just vairly see the opening and run at 140, just vairly might mean something different to someone else :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• my point exactly.

what i meant, in my round about way of saying it :blush: was that a lot of the folks that bashed eggor for coming up with "lucy" as an adjustable lower vent, were just as happily using the daisy wheels which were nothing more than improvements over the ceramic cap.

improvement might be the wrong word. but if a user finds it easier, then it's an improvement to that user. still not necessary.

it's why i don't bash the powered vent devices, but i try to point out to newbies you don't need them either. they, like the daisy and like 'lucy', are an adjunct whose benefit is probably more subjective than anything.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    my older one likes to be choked down, the newer one likes to breath. at 250 im more open with the vent like yours, i really think that rule came from a time when low and slows were being done at 200 to 220 and taking 20 plus hours for a simple butt, then one day someon discovered that at 250 dome they were really cooking at 220 at the meat level
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i think it was cat that didnt even use the cap, once you realize it can be controled only from the bottom it gets easier for most to understand it
    fukahwee maine

• Bacchus
    Options
    And there are people who get a Guru and adjustable rig the same week they get their first Egg.
    I am in the "less is better" camp, but I do like this lower vent Daisy(for lack of better term). It is simple but well thought out. I don't have one yet, but I am thinking it that along with the Woo, they are the best/basic aftermarket products for the BGE.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Suggested settings for the original BGE before daisy wheel.

pp760010.jpg
  • BeerMike
    Options
    I rarely use the top daisy. I remember someone telling me that I absolutely need one. I only use it for low and slow cooks.

Cheers,

BeerMike
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs