Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi-OT: corned beef

Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night's dinner:
Any of these recipes COULD be done on the egg, but none were.
I used Michael Ruhlman's corned beef cure recipe from "Charcuterie". Cured five days. I'm a brisket novice, but it appeared to me that I had a hunk 'o meat that was part flat, part point. I separated the two and trimmed them of much of the fat cap that was between the two muscles.
IMG_4940.jpg

On Sunday, I removed the brisket from the cure, rinsed it, and then let it simmer with allspice, pepper and bay leaves, following Alton Brown's corned beef and cabbage recipe. Simmered 2.5 hours.

Yesterday, I finished the cook by cooking the potatoes, onion, celery, carrots and cabbage, and slicing the beef.
IMG_4961.jpg

IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4967.jpg

I also baked a loaf of Irish Soda Bread with caraway seeds.
IMG_4952.jpg

IMG_4959.jpg

And made (on Sunday) Bailey's Irish Cream brulees.
IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4971.jpg

I had never had corned beef and cabbage before. What a great dish! The veggies, being cooked in the liquid that the beef was simmered in for hours, take on wonderful spicy/salty flavors. Fantastic stuff. We had a few friends over, and even the little kids liked it...to their mother's surprise.

I saved a small chunk of the cured (uncooked) point for making pastrami sometime this week. Can't wait!

Comments