Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Go large or XL

Options
Woo Pig Sooie
Woo Pig Sooie Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm hoping to get a BGE this summer if I can convince the wife but I'm not sure if I should go for a large or just say to hell with it and get the XL.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I was at the Sunshine fest this weekend and we had a good discussion about this very thing...the consensus was get a large and a small. It gives you the ability to cook multiple items at different temps....but other people will have other opinions... ;)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    You will soon learn that one egg isn't enough. You will want to cook everything on it and usually that requires different temps. So unless an XL and another egg is in the budget do what Vadalia1 suggested and get the small/LG combo for the same price as the XL.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I find more and more people are going for the XL. A year ago no would recommend a XL. I have owned the a XL for two years. The pros of the XL are

1. You can fix a large amount of ribs at one time. Their are pictures of of people trying to cram a lot of ribs in a large but you do not get a even cooking or a even smoking on the ribs.
    2. When cooking pulled pork you can put six shoulders on and only get tied doing to once for 12 hours once.
    3. I like to grill Mahi- Mahi and we feed large groups. I like to have the fish all done at the same time and right to the table.
    4. You can cook larger Pizzas
    5. I can cook all the Brats and chicken at one time
    6. My wife does not want two green eggs around the house.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    I was standing right before the same decision a few month ago...

Decided the L and S way. I´m quite satisfied with this decision.
    Pro´s:

More versatile. Cook meat in the Large and sides in the Small i.e. Ya can cook food´s parallel that expects different cookin´ temps.
    Add perhaps a adjustable rig and spider, and ya have enough space for 12 babybacks in the Large (2 rib racks).

1 disadvantage:

a whole packer above 10 pounds fits hard in the large.

For me the L and S has been the best way. Will buy the same cobo again in a few weeks ;):)
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    Here's another vote for the Large-Small combo. I owned the L for about a year before hopping on the two Egg train. ;)

I tend to use the two Eggs at the same time when I'm cooking two items at differing temps.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I have 7 eggs between two houses and at any time I could have gotten a XL. we don't have one and probably wont. less someone wants to donate me one?? :P I really think that 2 eggs are better than one. and you would be surprised at the food you can fit on the LG.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    You got any good recipes for mahi-mahi you care to share?
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Here's another vote for the L & S combo - it's hard to beat the versality. BTW I've egged a 25.5# turkey on my large...not sure you could do one that big on an XL with it's present rather squatty design. Granted a taller XL dome is on the way, but not until the present inventory has gone through the pipeline. Why wait - get the L & S this summer and the sooner the better
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
    Mahi-Mahi wrote:
    I find more and more people are going for the XL. A year ago no would recommend a XL. I have owned the a XL for two years. The pros of the XL are

1. You can fix a large amount of ribs at one time. Their are pictures of of people trying to cram a lot of ribs in a large but you do not get a even cooking or a even smoking on the ribs.
    2. When cooking pulled pork you can put six shoulders on and only get tied doing to once for 12 hours once.
    3. I like to grill Mahi- Mahi and we feed large groups. I like to have the fish all done at the same time and right to the table.
    4. You can cook larger Pizzas
    5. I can cook all the Brats and chicken at one time
    6. My wife does not want two green eggs around the house.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me...also interesting that few were even recommending the XL not long ago.
    I'm waiting for the new XL (in part) since it doesn't make sense to me to cut one's self short on size from the very start. If I'm so blown away with the XL and already have all my bases covered for anything that I want to cook...then I'm certain that the price of a small or mini isn't going to get in my way of buying another.
  • Trojan Bill
    Options
    Going to jump in again here. Based on your last response, that cost is not the ultimate factor--I say go XL. I agree with everyone that says you eventually want two. I have the XL and Lge--overkill, but I'm very happy. The XL gives me so much more room to work and move food around, and is easier to stabilize, particularly at lower temps. Last night I did three large chicken halves on the XL at about 375 (easier to stabilize, and lots of room to work), tonight I did a ribeye on the large--quicker to get to high temp and the CI grid makes beautiful grill marks. If I did not care about the room to work on the grill, or budget was the primary factor, I would probably recommend the Lge. You're making a choice between vanilla and strawberry ice cream--both really good.

No bad choice.

Go Trojans
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    large, then you can add a second large later. That is what we did. Considered a small for a second but choose large because you can share accessories and more versatility.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle