Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

40 pounds of lump for $14

Options
Kokeman
Kokeman Posts: 822
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at Sams yesterday, and saw some Best of the West lump. I read the reviews from The Naked Whiz. (below average). It is made in Mexico. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this lump? For that price I think I will have to experiment with it.
img045.jpg

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    I use it - In fact used a bunch this weekend. I will buy again.

Big chunks and lots of sparks. All mesquite lump sparks more than other lump and there will be some big chunks - at least that has been my experience with B&B mesquite. on my XL Platesetter.
    IMG_1417800x600.jpg

Same big chunks in the XL
    IMG_1419800x600.jpg

IMG_1424800x600.jpg

IMG_1428800x600.jpg
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    Does the sparks leave any ash or anything else on the food?
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Frank those are some amazing..pics....
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    I've been using this for "smoking flavor" with my RO as the main lump. I've cooked a couple of times using it only - it burns very hot.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I find that it only sparks when lighting - prolly would spark if doing a high temp sear/grill with the dome open.
  • LostinQn
    LostinQn Posts: 21
    Options
    As i live in arizona i buy this at smart & final for the the same price roughly. with tax it runs right at 40 cents a pound.

Since its mesquite it will spark quite a bit when you light it, however after 30 minutes i really never have any sparking, unless i leave the BGE lid open for wokking.It does create more ash then RO lump, or other hardwood lumps, and does impart some mesquite flavor especially if grilling at high temps.

Its my primary lump, since i use the bge 4-5 times a week, the cost adds up. I should note i have done a couple of low and slow cooks by cherry picking out the larger pieces of lump and it worked fine, on 2 pork butt cooks, both of which ran around 14-16 hours, however i do not really like it for low and slow cooks due to ash buildup and the lump does burn quite a bit faster, i had to fill up the firebox to the very top and most of the lump was gone after the cook.
  • smokydabears
    Options
    Been using it since I discovered a barbecue joint in vegas uses it. Smells pretty good, use it to make bread today. Performed nicely
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    My Sams has frontier brand lump for 14.27 for 40# i picked up a bag and used it for a low n slow Saturday night i must say i really liked it. Some large pieces and help temp for 18hrs without moving
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I have been useing for the last year(Mainly for cost) and have been pretty happy with it.I did two 12-14 hr cooks this past week and had no problems with heat control.There are two different bags of Best of the West a plain brown bag and the one you bought.The one in your pic actully puts off a better flavor than the plain one.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    I pay 12 bucks and change for a 40lb bag of Lazzari brand Mesquite lump, at our local "Cash and Carry", restaurant supply grocer.
    I really like it, it smells good, isn't too strong a smoke; in fact I use it almost exclusively now.
    I agree, it sure does spark when using a propane weed burner! It doesn't spark onto food when egging however.