Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frustrated. Rant. My dealer has switched.

Options
Ms.
Ms. Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bonjour Eggheads.

Some of you have answered my post about Kamado Joe and convinced me to keep to my initial plan of buying a Big Green Egg.

But now I am utterly frustrated. I stopped by the dealer on my way back home this morning, to order a large BGE. The nice clerk there told me he had one left in stock :woohoo:

But... he was wrong, and only had two medium. So when I asked him when they would be getting more, he told me they have STOPPED selling BGE! My dealer has gone for the pricing only, without any other thought, and decided to switch to KJ! So as of two days ago he no longer sells BGE! I just don't believe this. I was ready! I had my money! My car was ready for the crate!

I have found another dealer a bit farther, and what do you know? He has both: BGE and KJ, but gets into a sales pitch about KJ! What the... I presented my (your) arguments to him, and that sort of took him off balance. But you know what he says? That the founder of KJ is the ex-partner of Ed Fisher, founder of BGE. Oh, yeah? Well, I did some searching on the Web, and I found no mention whatsoever of this Bobby Brennan and of BGE.

So, I have a dealer who stops selling BGE, and another one who either lies to me or has been lied to and gobbled the lie or I just don't know how to google.

I am not frustrated, I am utterly p... :angry:

Sorry. I had to rant.

And now I'm looking for a third BGE dealer.

Edit: found a dealer! Yeah! They have a large in stock! :woohoo:

Comments

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Accept no subsitutions. There is only one Big Green Egg.
    My suggestion...go to www.biggreenegg.ca and go to the dealer locator. Type in your postal code and a list should show up. Hope that helps.
  • Ms.
    Options
    I did. It's only after my third call that I found a dealer who said they will stick with the BGE.

Going to get it NOW. :woohoo:
  • BADaQ
    BADaQ Posts: 159
    Options
    Big green egg all the way. Its worth the extra drive.
  • Ms.
    Options
    Ok. I got my dealer. They say they will uncrate the Egg in order for it to fit in my Honda Civic.

However, the nice lady on the phone says there is NO WAY I will be able to take it out of the car alone.

Is that correct? I am an average gal, not highly muscled but not a wussie either.

What do you think?

Edit: Subject
  • Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    Options
    Ms. wrote:
    Ok. I got my dealer. They say they will uncrate the Egg in order for it to fit in my Honda Civic.

However, the nice lady on the phone says there is NO WAY I will be able to take it out of the car alone.

Is that correct? I am an average gal, not highly muscled but not a wussie either.

What do you think?

Congrats ! You made a good choice there.

If the egg is fully assembled, do not try to lift it out alone. The weight alone maybe could be handled but
    on the egg you dont have any place to get a good safe grip so its very hard to lift a Large egg alone.

Go ask some friends or neighbours to help you, better safe than sorry. ;)

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Your new baby is bulkie. Weighing in at 140 lbs.
    You are gonna need some help with it.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Not a chance unless you are a weight lifter - it's 140 lbs. of nice breakable ceramic. You need two people for sure. Make sure the inards are separate which makes it lighter.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    The heaviest piece is 60 pounds if they leave it unassembled, but out of the box.

It can be a bit akward to do alone but it can and has been done many many times.

Besides it's always nice to have a friend that will come and help with the setting up and not just one who comes for the eating. :)

Glad to hear you kept at it and got the right cooker. As to your Google searching abilities you are just fine. The KJ guy has never even worked at BGE little less been a partner of Ed Fisher. It's funny how folks will lie to try and sell their products by tying themselves to BGE. It's almost like they feel the need to justify themselves...I guess maybe they do.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
  • Ms.
    Options
    Thanks. It will be disassembled.

I'll go see if my neighgour will be around, though...

Or I'll wait 'til Wednesday, when hubby will be home for the day... As if I can :whistle:
  • GoonSlapper
    GoonSlapper Posts: 106
    Options
    Congrats on your new egg. I didn't think it was too difficult to move a disassembled egg, but then again, it's better to be safe and wait for some help then to drop the ceramic pieces.
  • Ms.
    Options
    I'll wait... I have been waiting almost a year to get my baby, I wouldn't want to drop it!
  • Ms.
    Options
    This is great!

But they don't sell it in Québec. :(
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

From your past post and this post it sounds like there is more profit, or some other benefit, to the dealer to sell or push the KJ over BGE.

Your decision is what information are you going to use in making your buying decision. There is always something cheaper, the question is it better.

I would venture to guess there are more than a few forum folks that have non egg ceramic grills and many that have something other than ceramic grills.

However, the one common bond is close to all do have a BGE.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you can get some help. Careful unloading will help protect the car as well as protect the egg.

GG
  • Ms.
    Options
    You're right, Grandpa.

In my view, outright lying to push a product is NOT a good sales method. It just had me balking away.

It's too bad about my previous dealer, though, because he was very friendly. A small shop, close to home, great service... Oh, well. Really, it's too bad.
  • Ms.
    Options
    :laugh:

I had not even thought of the car! See where my priorities are?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

My dealer closed shop a few months ago. Evidently his wife got a huge promotion and that required a family move.

There are other dealers somewhat close but I no longer have the relationship I had with buying 4 eggs and other sales from direct referrals. He would give me a bag of lump, some BGE Rub and a bag of smoking chips for each referral sale of a large or XL.

Looking forward to reading and seeing some of your cooks.

Have fun kiddo.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Always, eggs first... as it should be.

GG
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    I smell a REALLY good KJ sales rep in your area, who's converting all the BGE dealers to KJ. Props to him/her (better profits on KJ?), but I think at least everyone here will agree that the BGE is superior.
  • Ms.
    Options
    Well, I'd really like to meet him. :evil: I have done all my law studies, and it looks like he's breaking the law by telling lies in order to boost his product.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Playing devils advocate here, but it is possible he belived his statement to be true, about the guy being Ed's partner. If that is the case, and he has more profit or sales commission inline with the KJ, then he can't be blamed. It is merely free enterprise. As with buying any consumer product no matter how big or small, one is better off doing their own research and utilizing the salesperson as a nothing more than a conduit to the manufacturer.
    Just my three cents.
  • Ms.
    Options
    Not to worry. I also believe in "not guilty until proven otherwise"...
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    imagine that, someone telling lies to boost product sales....that's unheard of :laugh: ....sounds like a used car salesman selling grills :P
  • Ms.
    Options
    Oh, don't laugh! :laugh:

Actually, here in Québec, if someone lies trying to sell you something, they are liable for a fine, from $300 to $6,000 for an individual, and from $1,000 to $40,000 for a company.

And many car dealers have been known to pay fines.

I don't know about a grill dealer, though! ;)
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Congrats on your new egg. I'm glad you decided to accept no substitutes! Definitely wait for your hubby to help you unload it. Better yet, let hubby and another friend do the unloading, heavy lifting, and assembly. You can be merely standing by with food at the ready. Have fun!

(I let my teen sons unload our first egg, which was boxed up. They also assembled it for me. It was a father's day present for my husband who was underwhelmed, which I feel is grounds for divorce. Our second egg had to be taken out of the box because I had a smaller car with me. They seatbelted it into the front seat and said I would now be able to drive home in the commute lane. :laugh: )
  • Ms.
    Options
    They seatbelted it into the front seat and said I would now be able to drive home in the commute lane. :laugh: )

:lol: