Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalia Onion Pie

Options
Luvmyegg
Luvmyegg Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Plan to make an Onion Pie tonight. I recall reading that a deep dish crust in needed to accomodate the volume of filling but I don't recall the method of choice for grilling the pie. Indirect or direct and what temperature?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    LuvMyEgg,
    Here's a link to the recipe. Larry didn't specify: I did mine indirect.[p]Ken

[ul][li]Vidalia Pie[/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I did mine direct ---- ly in the oven. Shhhh, don't tell anyone! LOL Nah, I was cooking something else on the egg and temps didn't correspond and I only have one egg, presently. That and I really don't see that this recipe really gains a lot by being cooked on the egg. JMHO
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    LuvMyEgg,
    I made this pie a couple of weeks ago using tips from someone on the forum (and thank you, whoever you are). On a small Egg, I used a raised grid with a foil-covered pizza stone, put the deep-dish pie on the stone, and put foil strips around the crust edges from the start. If you try to add them later, the pie is too hot to do fine squishing of the foil. It came out perfectly cooked in about 45 or 50 minutes at 325¼ F. It didn't have any smoky taste, though, and I was expecting it would. I didn't add any chunks, but usually I'd get some smoky flavor even so.

Judy in San Diego
  • Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. My pie was perfect! The foil around the edges of the crust was a great suggestion. I had a lovely lightly browned crust at the end of grilling indirect over a platesetter at 350 for 45 minutes.