Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the XL too big for two?

Eggzellent
Eggzellent Posts: 238
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As mentioned earlier; I am committed to an XL when the updates arrive and am wondering if there are any reasons not to if smaller portions are ever cooked increasingly often (when we're older, for instance). The lump usage isn't really an issue with me unless the XLs lose heat much more rapidly and use an inordinate amount just to cook a few items...I have no idea. I am a big fan of doing a lot of cooking at once when possible; as we recently picked up an Ary vacuum sealer that pretty much changed our lives in terms of leftovers, simple marinading and fresh garden processing. In other words, we're either cooking for the freezer or simply to eat.

Any thoughts on 'oversizing' with the Egg...and are there a whole set of other rules which apply to this application? I really don't see the need to buy yet another (smaller) version if there are eggheads on here who have gotten the process down no matter what quantity is in the shell (realizing that all food cooks differently).

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    The Large is the most common size, offers the most eggcessoires, and is the favorite among the forum members. Many would suggest buying a Large and a Small for approx the same investment maybe a little more than an XL. The Large will cook huge amounts of food. The Small is an awesome unit as well, and serves most couples fine for typical grilling needs.
  • Finally, a question I can comment on!

I have owned an XL for over a year, cooking for just my wife and I most of the time. The size may be overkill, but I love having the room to work comfortably around the food. I recently purchased a large and am using it for direct cooks and the XL for long/slow. Once you stabilize the XL, it's like an aircraft carrier--just chugging along. I don't see a significant difference in lump usage, but the XL has to burn a bit more heating up and cooling down--probably not much difference while actually cooking.

I'm sure the large is enough, but if I could only have one it would be the XL.

IMO, no way to make a mistake.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I'm with you! Give me a large and small combo any day over an XL! It's just that there will be times you will want to egg up a couple hamburgers - fresh hot and juicy and a small is great for that - I'd hate to choke down the lump to fire up an XL for such a small task.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I agree with Trojan Bill

I do a lot of slow cooking and I load the XL Egg up to the max most of the time. I figure, why not, I am cooking for many hours anyway

I use the Stoker for my controls. Controlling the pit temp and monitoring my meat temps

I also have a vacuum sealer
  • Yes

Got an XL, Small, and mini.

From what you described, a large will work fine.

It would be a shame to wait several months on the new design of the XL when a large is adequate for your grillin/smokin activities.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I'm not an XL owner or user so I am coming from a Large, medium, small, mini perspective.

I found the comments from Trojan Bill and thailangjohn interesting.

For my wife and I, I really like the Large and Mini. When the whole gang is here, 26 in all, the large will handle the crowd if we cook things like pulled pork, burgers, dogs and such.

It sure is nice to crank up the medium as an assistant to the large.

I keep wondering about getting an XL. Doing it all over I would get 2 Larges (maybe and XL & Large) and the mini.

Talk that a new XL design is coming out which will be interesting to see.

GG
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I have the XL and do like it but I keep second guessing that I got one too big. I may just HAVE to get a large too. :silly:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • I am one of those who cooks once a week and eats the bbq for 4 days. I am also a big. eater.

I have a large w/3 grate levels. It works fine and is enough space. A large with the standard grate only isn't enough for me.

If I could have afforded it, I would have gotten a xl. An xl would be ideal for me, but a large is just fine. At times, it gets crowded. You just have to use your head and the multiple levels appropriatly.

After learning the larges function, I see why most rccomend it over the xl. It works great. It is so easy to use, I feel like I am cheating. I will say that I have never used a xl, so I can't compare the two.

I also like to throw parties and unfortunatly, the women don't go for the pulled pork and brisket, which can pose a problem.

I anticipate cooking in shifts, which isn't all bad. I actually enjoy using the bge so much, I probably will start making smaller meals just so I can use it more.

If you are someone who is influenced by others and you do get an xl, be prepared to read a thread like this one every week where most posters say to get a large.

Whatever you choose, you will be in contact with many kind and generous people on this board who will help you behind the scenes and expect nothing in return. I have only been on this board since january and already 2 people hae gone above and beyond for me and have refuse to be thanked publicly.
  • Relax. Enjoy what you got and tell everyone what's cool about the XL. I have two Larges, but there are definitely times I wish I had more surface area on one single grid level.
  • Eggzellent
    Mr Food wrote:
    "..Whatever you choose, you will be in contact with many kind and generous people on this board who will help you behind the scenes and expect nothing in return. I have only been on this board since january and already 2 people hae gone above and beyond for me and have refuse to be thanked publicly.."

I just wanted to sincerely thank all those who responded tonight and echo the sentiments expressed above. We couldn't have asked for better guidance and a wider range of views. Threads like this certainly lead one to believe that they have made the right choice with both the manufacturer and the extended community.

I'll keep my XL order in; hope that the accessories catch up; probably do a lot more low/slow cooking than planned and (hopefully) learn from the good people here in regards to relatively small meals on a big grill.

Again, what a privelege to receive quality information on a product that will most likely change my way of thinking forever regarding food prep. I thought that simply having a commercial vacuum packager on the kitchen counter was a blessing from God...the BGE may prove to be even more of a blessing with this forum's help.
  • Bacchus
    You will love the Egg no matter what size you get. But just to make sure you know, the Large is a lo/slo cooking machine as well as the XL. It will pur along at 250 for 24 hours or more on a load of lump. You can fit 3-4 butts or 3 slabs of ribs laid out flat, on just one level. The Large is a tried and true unit. Sounds like you would be in the first group of folks to get the new XL. Most likely there would be no kinks to work out with it, and the BGE company always makes things right. But, Venerable vs New Design?..... :whistle:
  • Eggzellent
    RRP wrote:
    I'm with you! Give me a large and small combo any day over an XL! It's just that there will be times you will want to egg up a couple hamburgers - fresh hot and juicy and a small is great for that - I'd hate to choke down the lump to fire up an XL for such a small task.

We received so many great answers that I was hoping to go back and beg a few more. Being a newbie to all things both charcoal and egg related...what is choking down the lump (less fuel?); why should I do so on the XL (when cooking less) and what is the drawback? I'm certain that this is minor; yet had to ask... :blush:
  • Eggzellent
    ...and a follow up question if I may:

Are there any ingenius set ups out there for the XL in relation to cooking but a few items? (charcoal/grill location, vent settings, etc.).

One would tend to believe that there is more than one option to get the job done in such a cavernous cooking area...
  • TJV at Ceramicgrillstore.com makes eggcessories for all eggs. One of the items he sells for the XL is the lump reducing ring.
  • Eggzellent
    Frank from Houma wrote:
    TJV at Ceramicgrillstore.com makes eggcessories for all eggs. One of the items he sells for the XL is the lump reducing ring.

What a big help that bit of info was for putting into perspective why one can (apparently) do everything needed on the XL with (apparently again) no downside whatsoever. (From the website)...If I can use one of these rings and 1/2 the amount of lump that a large is built for (or less) to handle most relatively small/quick grilling tasks...what's not to like about the biggest size egg or all of the other comparative advantages that the XL has to offer?

I still believe that there's a trick to placing smaller amounts of food in such a big cooker to minimize lumpage used and maximize heat absorbed...yet I've obviously never fiddled with one enough to grasp the concept. :huh:
  • Bacchus
    If putting a lump reducing ring in the XL made it as good as a Large we would all have them. But instead, 90% have Larges.
    Sounds like you are dead set on the XL. Get it and enjoy. Make sure to post some pics of your cooks. :)
  • Eggzellent
    Bacchus wrote:
    If putting a lump reducing ring in the XL made it as good as a Large we would all have them. But instead, 90% have Larges.
    Sounds like you are dead set on the XL. Get it and enjoy. Make sure to post some pics of your cooks. :)

I'd like to go down and simply get one...yet I can't seem to locate the right person on the forum (besides YB; who graciously provided the pic. of a new model XL and has offered to get back with us next week) who knows exactly when they will be available. I'm 'guessing' that YB's a dealer (or associated) and that the only other guy pictured with one recently is a competitor with some kind of 'in' also.

I'd really like to expand on your first comment above; as I really want to learn exactly why (besides money available to most and years available) the XL cannot do every single task that any other size egg can do...yet still have significant advantages in both capacity and even basic room to get around your food? And when one throws in (supposedly) the ability to cook with the same amount of fuel...what's not to like? Is there some damning feature that I don't know about in these big units that brings out the "as good as" commentary above?

Thanks for your opinion; I will enjoy it whenever I figure out when I can get one...and I will try and take some pictures when I do for the great help that I have received here to date.
  • Bacchus
    I shouldnt say the XL isn't as good. I don't own one but have used a couple different ones.
    The Large Egg is the Quintassential Big Green Egg and is the Standard Bearer of the Kamado world. As I said before, it is a tried and true performer. There are indicators galore for deciding on the Large if one is anywhere near the fence, but IMO none is bigger than the fact that thousands and thousands are used everyday versus a redesigned unit which was created in the first place for people who just have to have huge grills.
    I have friends with XL's and they are good units for sure, not knocking them.
  • Eggzellent
    Thanks for the reply.
    If I didn't (being a man) admit that the size thing inevitably creeps into my "what will I get into next" decision making...I'd be lying. ;) On the other hand, if I'm BGE and the XL is 'doing it all' both in the two person household and out on the bbq circuit...I'm concentrating on getting the information out (also) as to how to cook small(er) meals on my largest margin item. Who cares whether a guy or gal buys something for the wrong reason...do they have the info at their fingertips to adapt what they want to any recipe that's ever been published using the only size available that can (frankly) accomplish it all?
    Maybe there's no more to it when using these bigger eggs than slapping some food on (with the same fuel required per size) in the same place...at the same level...whether it be a pound of meat or fifty...I don't know. Yet if BGE wants to promote the line as performing equally well (full or partially loaded) and beyond low-hanging-fruit XL sales to "gotta have it" first timers...then I'm guessing that at least some of the above answers should be available somewhere without looking too hard (especially when you make the point that this is also a new shell that has not been reviewed by anybody that we know of).