Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome and base will not align

Options
eggfan
eggfan Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have taken my dome off to replace the gasket, I did this by loosening the top band only. When i replaced the dome I made sure is was aligned with the base. When i tighten the nuts the dome will slide back app. 1/8 inch. Is there an adjustment on the spring band or is this normal. I dont recall. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    I'm going to hitchhike on this, I have the same problem, but with slightly less misalignment.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    This is why I'm afraid to take apart my egg as the same thing would probably happen to me. :blink: My egg came assembled from the dealer because it was the floor model.

Hope your able to fix it.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    This has always been a two man job for me...

I do it by loosening both top and bottom first, having someone apply downward pressure to the lid while holding the bands in position (one at a time), and snugging them both before the final tightening. Make sure you get them even around the base and lid - as far apart as they will go (top band high and lower band low).

This is what I did on mine when it was new and I felt it was not shutting well. Used a dollar bill around the edges to test for resistance. As the gasket burned down and became brittle, I kept pushing the lid down on the top of the base. That was four years ago and still have not replaced gasket.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I'm only guessing, but the bolts may be stretched to their limit and need replacing, or both pair of bolts may need to be torqued to the same tension.
    That being said, I would call the mothership for help :unsure: .

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi eggfan
    Anyway I have replaced a few gaskets since I owned my egg. loosen both top and bottom bands, align,
    This is most important step, when you put dome on,
    make sure it is snug against the top band, I would
    then tighten bottom band first, pull it down around base real good before tighten, after tighten bottom band
    then again push that dome against the top band, to the rear of the base actually, once snug against band then
    tighten real good. remember one thing, this is a trial
    and error process, might not get it first time.
    You know when you have a good seal when dollar bill
    is real snug when pulling out when lid closed.
    I kept doing this and after a few times opening dome,
    it would, the dollar bill not be snug on one side of egg. After many curse words, ha ha I realized that
    dome has to be snug against the band before tightened.
    My seal is so good I have 0percent leaks, even from the back of dome. remember if that bottom band is sitting up to high around base, then when you tighten top it
    may not be a good enough seal. Be patient and keep working at it, you'll get it. take care Bullyc