Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

we pigged out on beef again last night

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_1119.jpg
Sliced before covering with a rich and tasty Burgundy based au jus including sliced mushrooms.

My favorite of ALL FAVORITE meals uses a flank steak. I'll take it over aged steaks, lobster or you name it! I'm talking about the meal that I have fixed to celebrate my birthday for each of the last 9 years and many other occasions over the last 34 years. It takes a bit of prep, but it's well worth the effort and elevates a lower cut of meat to a King's meal. It's one that I tell my wife if necessary just grab my collar like a dog to make me stop eating as my eyes glaze over and my stomach never senses FULL! Besides, any left overs are terrific eating cold over the kitchen sink the next day or two. If you're interested in the recipe I'll gladly share it, so just email me - otherwise I won't take the time nor effort to post it here. EDITED: See recipe below
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=845824&catid=1

Here it was with a a moist paste of oil, crushed garlic, parsley and some other stuff 30 hours before hot tubbing it.
IMG_1115.jpg
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    Options
    I have one soaking up some mojo right now. Looks YUMMY!! I have recently taken a major liking to flank steaks. Very quick and tastey. I totally get the eating over the sink thing too, especially cold eggrolls!!!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi Ron,
    Looks great and sounds interesting so if it's not too much trouble send it on. Glad you've found something you enjoy so much. Is it tender when cooked???

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • RRP
    Options
    tender? yup! Email will be on the way to your oldbones addy at yahoo.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Looks great Ron, I emailed you for it

Ross
  • RRP
    Options
    you have it! Hope you like it as much as we do.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I love flank steak. Yes, I'll definitely take the recipe!

No fair posting photos like that first one. Now I'm starving and we have nothing in the house to eat that will even come close to satisfying me. Is that flank steak doable in one day? Do I have time to start now and have for dinner? After I send hubby to the store for steak, that is.
  • RRP
    Options
    glad to oblige - check your email via this forum - it may get hung up in your spam filter. As for having it tonight - no the meat needs to set for at least 24 hours sorry!
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Looks great Ron as always.

Larry
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    The steak looks great RRP. I buy skirt steak from a local butcher shop and marinate in a dry rub before grilling. What's the difference between flank and skirt steak?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    That looks great. I would love the recipe. :)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    I don't think anyone would mind you posting the recipe! ;) I feel the same way about flat iron steak and am always looking for variations on marinade ingredients.
  • bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    Options
    It's one of my favorite cuts of beef also. I use the marinade in this spice rubbed leg of lamb recipe.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spice-Rubbed-Butterflied-Leg-of-Lamb-105306

Love to hear your method. :)
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I don't know how to check email via the forum. I'm looking around here, but don't see anything..... Maybe it hasn't come thru yet. Will I get a message somehow that I have a private email? Why don't you just post if under 'recipes' cuz I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants this!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Good info here, hope it helps.

http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/a/aa112704a.htm

Regards,
    Bordello
  • RRP
    Options
    I really had no idea there would be this much interest and emails have just been flying in - so here's the recipe which I should have just posted in the first place!

RRP’s London Broil

Background & Disclaimer: Over 30 years ago someone shared this basic recipe with my wife, Pat. We have no idea of the origin – hence no credit can be given. On the other hand I have tweaked it over the years and have adapted it to grilling on the Big Green Egg. To this very day it is my favorite meal and I reserve it for my birthday meal plus a couple other special occasion celebrations each year.

Needed:
    1 flank steak around 1.5 to 2 pounds
    2 T canola oil
    3 t dried chopped parsley flakes
    4 crushed garlic cloves
    ½ t salt
    2 t lemon juice
    ¼ t fresh ground pepper

Using a sharp knife trim any excess fat. Scrape off the fine membrane on the one side. Rinse under cold running water and then dry. Combine the above ingredients, and mix well. Lay meat on a piece of Saran wrap and spread the mixture evenly on both sides. Since a flank steak has a strong grain pattern to it with a stringy texture I work the mixture into the meat using the backside of a spoon. Finish wrapping with more Saran wrap and then seal tightly in a food safe plastic bag compressing out air. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours and do not disturb it.

Next day:

Sauté 8 oz of sliced white button mushrooms in 1/3 stick of real butter and sit aside, but do not drain! (BTW lately the sliced mushrooms are thicker than they used to be so I find they work with this meal better when further sliced in half while still raw.)

In a saucepan create the following au jus:

2 T Heinz Chili Sauce
    a pinch of marjoram
    a pinch of thyme
    a generous pinch of hickory smoked salt
    2 generous dashes of Tabasco
    2 generous dashes of Worcestershire
    5 oz of Burgundy
    1 beef bouillon cube
    2 oz of water
    sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper
    ½ t of flour (add the flour to a T of hot water from the tap so that it will dissolve)

Mix these ingredients well and add 2 or 3 slices of onions, broken apart and left as rings or cut in half. Simmer the pot until it starts the fine bubble stage. At this point add the mushrooms and their liquid and stir well. This can be done in advance, left to cool and refrigerate until time to reheat and serve with the meal.

Grilling the meat:

Flank steak is thin and if overcooked it will become tough very quickly. Besides this recipe tastes best when the meat is on the rare side. I prefer to use a type of Sous Vide more commonly called Hot Tubbing in BBQ circles. At least 1 hour before you plan to egg the meat submerge the meat still sealed in the plastic bag into a container of hot water from the tap. The desired temp of the water should be checked from time to time during the hour and should be over 100 degrees. I find my tap water runs about 125 degrees. I also find that I have to change the water at least 3 to 4 times in that hour.

In the meantime fire up your BGE and stabilize at 650 to 700 degrees dome. Unwrap the meat and quickly place on the grill for a mere 2 minutes per side and the cooking is done!
    Remember you want it rare and the Sous Vide will assure the meat is nice and warm inside, not dark purple and cold. Quickly cut the meat across the grain in thin strips of ¼” to 3/8” slices. Prepare the plates with meat and garnish with the warm au jus/mushroom mixture. We love this meal with mashed potatoes also garnished with the mixture.

I just hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. BTW I love any leftovers just cold and eaten over the kitchen sink the next day! Ron Pratt, aka RRP in Dunlap, IL