Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spares vs Baby backs

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tend to buy more spare ribs than BB's and most recipe's here are for BB's. I have tried the Carwash MIkes and the 3-1-1 method and have not been real satisfied with the results so far. Does anyone have a conversion of these 2 rib cooks that works better with spare ribs? Maybe a little longer, or hotter? Gonna try again after church today any help really appreciated :huh:

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Depending on the slab size, likely about an hour longer. Like everything else, cook them till they are done, all times are just approxamate.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The reason you tend to see more recipes for loin ribs is because they are easier to cook, cook in less time and usually come out nice and tender. The timeline of the cook is pretty predictable too.

DSC08477a.jpg

For spare (or belly) ribs I will sometimes cook the slab whole, but generally will do a St. Louis style trim on them. I start low, but most of my cooking is in the 250* - 260* range at the grate. It seems mine always go at least 5 hours before I decide to foil them, or tent them with foil, or just let them continue to cook themselves tender. When I do foil them, 45 minutes is my maximum time.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I too generally do spares and have them cut St. Louis style.

I use a variation of the 3-1-1 method depending on how i feel they are coming along. I cant seem to get ribs done in 5 hrs either. I dont know if its because the ribs i get here mostly say (extra meaty) on the package or what but the last two times have gone 6-6.5 and were alot more tender. They were baby backs too by the way my grocer had a good sale on them
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I'm with you on cook time. Mine usually take 6 - 6 1/2 hrs to get really tender. I have used Car Wash Mikes and have foiled. Both were great results.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I think the Belly Ribs St Louis style are the best, texture and flavor
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=833146&catid=1

Ross
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Several of these post reference 'st. louis style' ribs, if you arent familiar with this cut, here is a good vid to help St Louis Cut
  • spares always take longer in my experience. they're just vastly heavier and meatier than BBs. if i just throw them on (250) dome, and forget them, they won't be perfect until 6, 7, even 8 hours have passed. fine with me. anyone cooking ribs shouldn't be in a rush.
  • you sly dog, avoiding any controversy. hahaha
    i like the 250 GRATE temperature reference. probably 275 maybe even 300 dome?

those temps are still fairly low, and as you imply, it's the temp at the grate that does the cooking anyway.