Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Large BGE, Poor Quality?

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,081
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a new large BGE with two apparent problems:

- The daisy wheel does not fit snugly, it will wobble in a vertical direction about 1/3 inch. When opening the lid this is very noticeable and concerning.
- The firebox also wobbles, perhaps 1/4 inch. Should it not sit solidly in the Egg? Note that if I remove the firebox and place on a known flat surface, it still wobbles.

I have not contacted my reseller. Before doing so I desire to have other views on these apparent quality defects. A major factor in my decision to purchase a BGW was reputation for quality. At this point I am not pleased with my Egg.
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Have you spoken to your dealer? The firebox on mine has had a sort of wobble but, it hasn't interfered with cooking or temperature control at all.

Best bet is to talk to your dealer if he's a good one you'll be happy pretty soon.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    My DW fits loose as well. I think that is normal. I'm OK with this. As for your fire box. You might have a casting issue there. Still shouldn't impact performance but you might contact your dealer about that.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I thought all Daisy wheels were loose!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Cool Forum Handle!
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Have no worries. We work very hard to make our customers happy, so if you have a problem it will be taken care of.
  • SmokinSoCal
    SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
    Options
    Very easy fix for the daisy wheel. BGE will send you some gasket material and just place it inside the Daisy wheel. Better seal and perfect fit!
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    dbcooper wrote:

- The daisy wheel does not fit snugly, it will wobble in a vertical direction about 1/3 inch. When opening the lid this is very noticeable and concerning.
    - The firebox also wobbles, perhaps 1/4 inch. Should it not sit solidly in the Egg? Note that if I remove the firebox and place on a known flat surface, it still wobbles.

I have not contacted my reseller. Before doing so I desire to have other views on these apparent quality defects. A major factor in my decision to purchase a BGW was reputation for quality. At this point I am not pleased with my Egg.

dbcooper, I just bought a small egg over the weekend, and have the same problems that you do. My firebox is loose and wobbly with a gap around the edge. because of this gap, I could not get my egg over 500 because air wasnt being forced through the firebox like my large. I plugged the gaps around my firebox with alum foil, and that has improved my startup time and temp issue. Regarding the daisy wheel wobble, I am not concerned as much with that, as the gasket suggestion you got would work fine for that. I am going to try a few more cooks on my wobbly firebox with the foil mod to see if I am pleased before I go back to the dealer. But bring it up with the dealer if it bothers you, you shouldnt have to spend that much money, and not be completely satisfied with your purchase. Good luck.
  • dbCooper
    Options
    Thank you all for the fast responses.

I will speak with my dealer on Monday for a resolution, then post back here.

Kind regards.
    Great Plains, USA
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    When new my daisy wheekl was loose and a little concerning. After use it has snugged up some. If the wheel spins when opening the lid, make sure to line up with the pivoting screw facing you wnen closed.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    My DFMT wobbles and it doesn't affect anything. Except when my alzheimer's kicks in and I forget to check it after opening to check temps. When the dome temp rises 10 degrees I go outsdie to check to see if I left the DFMT open, which I do, so I reset it and the temp returns to normal. No harm, no foul.

My firebox was solid. I took it out to clean all ash out of the bottom and put it back in. Now it wobbles. Fired it up. 700 degrees. No problem. It wobbles. My bigger problem is some of the dumb things I have done to my egg. It still cooks great food. I got glowing praise last night at supper for my smoked picnic ham. In fact my brother-in-law tried to give me his ham to bring home and cook for them. Sister-in-law protested and said she would cook in her over. BIL pouted.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    My Daisy wheel wobled so badly that everytime I opened and closed the dome the Daisy wheel/damper would close and then I'd look up and the temp had dropped.My dealer gave me another.it still wobbled but not as bad.I put gasket material around the inside of the damper and that fixed the problem.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Jabinns, good to hear you got the small, thought it was going to be Tuesday.

You can use some gasket material to 'snug' up the DFMT & ceramic cap if you feel you need to. I would think the dealer would have a piece they would give you, if not I have a strip you are welcome to.

Another option is at the lower vent hole, take some foil and block off the space going around the outside of the firebox air cutout. Thus, the only air path is into the vent and directly into the firebox under the lump.

This works well for starting my medium, I no longer use the aluminum foil, just the tube itself.
    venttube.jpg

It doesn't seem to make much difference if the aluminum foil is around the tube or not.

I don't leave the tube in any of the eggs once I am close to temperature.

GG
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I still owe you a PO-Boy. Just don't know when I'm getting back to ATL.
  • dbCooper
    Options
    dbcooper wrote:

Update on this:
    I contacted BGE about this by email, they sent me the response included below. I've been in touch with my dealer, new parts are on the way. I'm a happy camper.

Thanks to all for your responses.

I apologize for the delay in getting back with you. Myself and others from the company have been out of town at a trade show. At any rate, what you are describing is not normal and can be taken care of under warranty. What we will need to do is have both of these parts (fire box & daisy wheel) replaced through the BGE dealer. In the meantime, despite the problems, you should be able to use the Egg without causing damage to other parts of the grill.

Once again I apologize for the delayed return and please let me know if you need further assistance with these issues.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Great Plains, USA