Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My very first butt in on the egg!

BBQFan
BBQFan Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So excited! Yesterday at the Eggfest I was so inspired... Last night I rubbed my first butt :P and this morning its on the egg. I actually put two of them on there. One of them is a small butt at almost 5 pounds and the other is about 7 pounds. Added apple and hickory wood chunks. Set the temp at around 220. Cant wait to see how it turns out. :woohoo:

Comments

• Should turn out good, is that Dome or grid temp. I like to keep dome around 250* for meat to get to 195*
  • StratoEgg
    StratoEgg Posts: 81
    Sounds great! But be careful that is how it all starts. 7 pounds of PB for your family then you add another for friends and then another for additional friends until you end up feeding alot of folks. My case in point, I just finished a multi-day continuous PB cook of 104 pounds for a social today starting at noon. Totally awesome but a little tired. The Guru or some other temp control device is also a handy product.

You should have some good eats shortly! Nice mix of wood chunks but I would also recommend a higher temp of 250 and plan on roughly 2 hrs per pound low and slow. Adding a little mustard as a technique helps form the bark--opinion only here.

Cheers,

Al
  • BBQFan
    BBQFan Posts: 15
    Thanks... we did first rub some yellow mustard and then made a mix of buttrub and light brown sugar. Put on a pretty heavy coat. Just raised dome temp to 250. Thanks for all advise.. so appreciated! Cant wait for the results.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Ive got 2 butts on that i put on last night at 11:30 cooking away. I usually do the same and go 250 dome temp and let it go.
    Last night for whatever reason my temp wanted to stay at 300 so i just went with it. Right now dome is at about 290 and the smaller of the two butts is at 171 degrees internal according to my Mavericku.

I'm thinking that the higher temp wont do anything other than maybe cook em a little faster and maybe get a little more bark on the meat I HOPE ANYWAY lol

Good luck on your butts.

Make a cole slaw to go with it it goes great right on the sandwich :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM