Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Question....

Cali Fireman
Cali Fireman Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys. Im new to the BGE and smoking in general. I smoked a tri tip the other day using one of the recipes posted here. Meat turned out great! Very nice smoke ring and the taste was very good. My question is this: I had to add some wood half way through the smoke. Kinda a pain. Is there a technique that would allow me to skip adding wood? I used chunks of mesquite. Should i soak the chunks in water? Add more initially? Any suggestions? Thanks! Cali Fireman

Comments

• One solution is to 'hide' chunks in the lump so that as the fire spreads out, it runs into chunks of smoking wood.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Use more and distribute it throughout the load of lump.Soaking will not help chunks.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    I've never smoked beef, but I've found that smoking pork only requires a little smoke in the beginning. On a slow cook, and once the wood smolders and burns out, the pork doesn't need any more smoke, to me. I guess you could use chunks on top of your lump, so it burns first, then sprinkle chips down inside the lump so you'll continue to get more during the rest of the cook.

The amount of smoke one wants is subjective, for sure. My brother never waits 'til the gray smoke turns to light blue, and he's like you--he wants to smoke during the entire cook. He doesn't even object to the bitter taste from smoking too soon. I, on the other hand think it tastes too smokey that way. Each to his own. Good luck, and don't soak.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    You will find out that you only need the first hour or so of smoke and then after that you are not really getting any smoke into the meat.Glad to hear you enjoy the Egg and where in Cal are you?

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    This is not really true. The smoke flavor is primarily from smoke particles deposited on the surface of the meat. The smoke flavor increases essentially as long as there is smoke present in the cooker. This notion that smoke flavor only is added initially is the result of confusing the smoke ring with smoke flavor. The smoke ring only forms while the meat is below about 140 degrees, but smoke flavor increases throughout the cook as long as there is smoke being produced in the cooker.
    The Naked Whiz
  • rsmdale wrote:
    You will find out that you only need the first hour or so of smoke and then after that you are not really getting any smoke into the meat.Glad to hear you enjoy the Egg and where in Cal are you?

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE

These are great posts!!! Thanks everyone for your input. Im in Bakersfield Dale.