Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib membrane

Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In watching some of the grilling shows on FoodTV the past week, I saw some guy in Memphis say he doesn't remove the membrane and the way to tell if they are properly cooked is the membrane "melts" away.[p]Anybody have much success with this or do most do as I do and remove the membrane before cooking?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Shelby,
    Is it the same guy that says cooking babybacks over 2 hours is drying out ribs? Some guy from Memphis has been on TV a lot lately preaching that low and slow is incorrect. My wife watched the show and was telling me about it.
    I think removing the membrane for slow and low is correct. If you want boil the bejeezse out of, I'm sure that will work.
    This guy is really getting on my nerves.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike, No, the membrain will NOT 'melt away'.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    HML,
    Thank you very much for that info. Because I have never tried.[p]CWM

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    OK, Shelby. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he DOES melt the membrane away. What happens to all that flavor from the rub that was on the membrane side? You'd have to assume that would be gone, too. The membrane would still be there during the initial part of the cook when the meat is cold and absorbing lots of smoke, so it would also inhibit some smoke flavoring, IMHO. I think that even if you can melt the membrane away, it's a bad idea to cook without removing it first.[p]Jim
  • Shelby,
    Yeah, theres no melting away membrane- thats some tuff stuff. It will either turn into a rubber band or something similar to cellofane. In fact, i ordered ribs at an On The Border resurant once. and I thought they had not removed the membrane. Turns out is WAS cellophane from the packaging- that was disturbing.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Shelby,
    It won't melt away. It either stays on the ribs and sort of splits into pieces or if you are lucky, the whole thing just shrivels into a crunchy ball of stuff that dogs LOVE! My dog didn't understand why I wouldn't cook 40 or 50 racks so he would have plenty of doggie treats. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    Shelby,
    I always remove the membrane. It allows the rub and the smoke to penetrate better. It also makes your ribs more tender in the end. For a test, try a rack with and one without the membrane.[p]I use an oyster knife to pry it up off the bone & then either fish skinning pliers or paper towels to grab it and pull it off. I've had pretty good luck with the pliers.
    Rod

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Shelby,
    I'm with all of you. I always remove the membrane. I was just wondering if any had tried it the other way. Apparetnly not.
    Thanks for the input/discussion.