Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any \"The Fresh Market\" fans here?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The local fish wrapper has just revealed that The Fresh Market is coming to town. I see it is described by a local popular blogger as a “specialty grocery store chain based in North Carolina, and is similar to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s...also says their prices are high, but so is the quality of their food. Many in Peoria (IL) have stated they want to have a gourmet food store like this, so I’m happy to see one is finally opening in the area."

Any opinions out there?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have been to the one in hendersonville n.c. several times. it is a really nice store the prices are a little high but they have all kinds of spices whole. that is one of the reasons i like it.. but they are really like whole foods..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    IMO, they are alot more like Whole Foods than Trader Joe's. I love that they have spices available by weight with no minimum, so you can get small amounts of obscure ones for a recipe rather than buy a bottle that may never get used again.
  • Bluedot
    Bluedot Posts: 82
    Options
    I absolutely love shopping at Fresh Market. Yes, their prices are a little higher but I think you get what you pay for. The meat counter is awesome and always fresh.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks - but since we don't have either of those stores I don't have a clue about comparison! Does The Fresh Market carry meat?
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    We have a Fresh Market a couple miles from my house. Good meat sections, reasonably good produce, very good bread, good cheese selection. The prices are a bit high though. I do like to buy my steaks there because quality better than regular grocers and I must admit the location is very convenient... Sometimes they have some good whole cyro packed Hereford or Angus tenderloins/NY Strip/Ribeyes...

In any case they get a reasonable amount of my beef dollars...
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    The Fresh Market is a lot nicer than Whole Foods imho, I use to live less than two miles from the one in Greenville and shopped there every week. However, I have found a local butcher shop that has way better meats(USDA Prime), and way way better pricing. If you don't have a local butcher that sells Prime though, then you should try the Fresh Market out.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You'll love it Ron. Great meat, terrific seafood and produce.

They carry more obscure dry goods than most groceries. I am a huge fan. They're a touch pricey, but the quality is absolutely top notch.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I agree with all the above but would have to win the loto before I can shop there, waaaaay beyond my budget.

I think their lump is Cowboy under their name.

Gator

Ooops posted in the wrong place.  :blush:

• Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    Ron,

I am a fan. They have one in Bloomington that you should check out if you are over there.

A lot of the things are expensive. I have been in there a couple times and both times I have found some Good deals on some of there specials. Whole NY strip $3ish a pound.

Where is it going to be located? I missed that in the news.
  • RRP
    Options
    Seth,

In WestLake shopping center where the old Circuit City was located. BTW have you stopped by the "still being remodeled Schnucks lately? I really like some things but MUCH of it strikes me a "being changed" for the sake of change!
  • RRP
    Options
    Do they sell Prime beef?
  • Rooster K
    Options
    I am going to drive right past that silly Fresh Market on my way home each day B). It should do well there. I am glad they are not building a new building!

Shnuks is trying to look more up scale. None of it was needed but with the new Hyvee and now Fresh Market, they need to keep up with the neighbors.
  • BADaQ
    BADaQ Posts: 159
    Options
    I am a huge fan. My wife and I shop there for specialty items. It can get pricey if you use it as an everyday grocery store. but if you use it as a place to buy your specialty items, you will find what you need and more. its wonderful.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    No. Their top Beef is Hereford, which is a Choice beef, but it is very tasty.......but I still prefer Prime, especially when it is cheaper.
  • Rooster K
    Options
    I am not sure if they had prime or not.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Yes they do sell Prime beef. At least the one in Huntsville, AL does. I love that store! They go above and beyond to help you and all there items are always neat. Our store looks like it's never been shopped in. I'm always joking with the wife right before we go in about looking for an apple out of place or not turned right. It's not somewhere you would want to go get groceries at but on the other hand it's nice to hit it about once every other month or so. The beer section in ours is cool too. They have empty 6-pack boxes and you can build your own 6-pack from there endless selection of singles. The prime beef the day I bought one was 15.99/ lb.
  • SmokyArkie
    Options
    We have a Fresh Market and it is one of the few places that has a real butcher! They will cut and wrap meat , fish, and poultry as we request (within reason). I can't afford to shop there often but they are a good place to get that special grub to go on the Big Green Egg.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    We have one 4 miles from our house and we really like it.

Larry
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    Options
    You'll like it. Like everyone has said, the prices are a little high but not when you consider the quality. The produce is fantastic as is the meat and fish counters. On the reasonable price side, they have some great inexpensive wines and they have a great selection of whole bean coffee. We shop there at least weekly.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    We have two here in town and it is the go-to store for specialty items or quality meat. Yeah, the prices are higher but it is a joy to shop there, for me.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • gsgentry
    gsgentry Posts: 128
    Options
    We have a few of them here in town and I love them!!! They are my go to store for seafood and some meat. They also have a bunch of specialty things that you may not find anywhere else. As far as Whole Foods and Trader Joes, I feel they are kind of in the middle.