Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Legs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy All,[p]My wife is a huge fan of the smoked Turkey legs. So being such a great guy I picked up a few nice looking legs last night and would like to try doing them justice this week. anyone have a tried and true method for a nice juicy leg with crispy skin?[p]Thanks,
Erin

Comments

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    Erin,
    ****Stipped from Internet. Cooking times may vary due to elevation.******[p]Savory Turkey Legs
    I had forgotten this simple, tasty, and inexpensive meal
    my grandmother made until I saw a request for a turkey
    leg recipe. Thanks for bringing that memory back! Prep
    Time: approx. 30 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 1 Hour . Ready
    in: approx. 1 Hour 30 Minutes. Makes 4 servings.
    Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Charles Aiken

2 cups dry bread cubes
    1 large stalk celery, minced
    1/3 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1 small yellow onion, diced
    1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon ground sage
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 egg
    1/4 cup hot water
    2 turkey legs
    1 1/2 tablespoons butter
    [p]Directions
    1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place a
    large sheet of aluminum foil on a medium baking sheet.
    2 In a medium bowl, mix the bread, celery, cranberries,
    walnuts, onion, and garlic. Season with sage, marjoram, salt,
    and pepper. Stir in the egg and enough hot water to moisten.
    3 Arrange turkey legs on the foil sheet, and season with
    salt and pepper. Spoon the bread mixture around the legs,
    and dot with butter. Tightly seal the foil around the legs
    and bread mixture.
    4 Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the turkey
    leg meat has reached an internal temperature of 180
    degrees F (80 degrees C).

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Erin,
    My family loves them. I do them like the smoked turkey legs you get at Disney or carnivals and fairs around the country. They kind of have a smoked ham flavor when finished.[p]Pull back skin (but keep in tact) and brine overnight in:
    1 gallon of water
    1 cup of kosher salt
    1 3 1/3 oz McCormicks (or other) Pickeling spice[p]Rinse & pat dry[p]Put on indirect at 230* with a fist full of apple wood (chips or chunks)until the temp in the leg reaches 180* to 185*. I usually pull the skin back up over the meat for the first hour (keeps the moistness in and that smoke residue out). I also find myself spritzing them lightly with apple juice once or twice after I pull the skin back and before they reach temp (again to keep somewhat moist). Peel off and pitch the skin when cooked. [p]This ia great way to prepare them. Enjoy! Joe

• Unknown
    Options
    Smokin Joe,[p]Thanks a bunch for the recipe. I'll most likely be prepping these on Thursday and smokin em on Friday. The Disney/Carnival flavor is what I was going for so this should be really cool. I had read about brining them overnight in the archives but wasn't sure as to the exact ingredients. Thanks for the explanation.[p]-Erin
  • Unknown
    Options
    haywyre,[p]Much appreciated. We're gonna try for the smoked variety like we get at the fair every year but I think I'll file this one away for the next batch. Sounds pretty intriguing.[p]Thanks,
    Erin

• tmsplatt1
    tmsplatt1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Erin, I have a bomb turkey recipe that's so easy and also works great for the legs too. Clean your legs and pat completey dry with a paper towel. Next put a liberal coat of a good olive oil (not the cheap stuff) then again a hefty dose of kosher salt around the entire leg. Cook on 250 for about an hour to 1.5 hours (use meat thermometer to assure you're not going to poison yourself....LOL). I also use alder or pecan chips soaked in orange or apple juice for smoking. If you like a heavier smokey flavor, hickory is great with turkey, but you gotta want smoke flavor! So nothing fancy with the ingredients. You want your turkey to be the star here...this is easy, cheap to prepare, and tons of flavor even with the simple ingredients. You'll find that these are better than the carnivals! Good luck. :) Try this with your turkey next thanksgiving too and you'll be thanking me. :)