Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breasts

Caingitrite
Caingitrite Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg, two turkey breasts, and a Guru. How should I cook them? Never done bird before.[p]CGR

Comments

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Caingitrite,[p]I'd do them in a V-rack over a drip pan. at about 350 degrees until they reach 160.[p]I usually put butter or olive oil on the skin before cooking, and nothing more. I really like cooking (and eating) Turkey on the egg. I usually do Whole turkeys instead of the breasts, but I've done the breasts as well.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    James,
    Just so happens that we did a turkey breast sunday. we did let it go to 168 before we pulled it. It turned out on the dry side and to much smoke for our taste. We did not brine which I usually do when cooked in the oven. Just did not think that far ahead. Have you ever tented to help retain moisture and reduce the smoke? If not what might I try to get the results that I am looking for?[p]Thanks[p]Scott[p]Anyone else?[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    eggor,[p]Did you add wood...since poultry takes on smoke easily, I never add smoking wood, just the lump flavoring is enough for me.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Caingitrite, Qbabe is right on on the wood...when you get ready to put them suckers in there take your fingers and run up under the skin of the breast and put 3 or tbs of butter under there and rub it down flat , also you can flavor the butter with a lot of different stuff, just get it to room temp and whip it in there. My turkey's have been so moist using this method, people have about flipped over em. Don't need to tent the thing, that's what the egg is for.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    QBabe,
    I did not add any chips or chunks, learned that lesson with mesquite chunks and ham. Maybe when it comes to anything but ribs and pulled pork, stuff that goes on for a long time, the smoke flavor is just more than I care for. Trying to figure out how to cut back on that.

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Caingitrite,
    Smoke with Pecan wood -- nothing better!

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Caingitrite,
    Did two turkey breasts yesterday - one with a rub of hazel nut oil and Tsunami Spin and the other with a rub of olive oil and Raging River. Cooked indirect at 350* until they hit 160*. Used a drip pan half full of apple cider and pecan chunks. Let them sit for 15 minutes and sliced. As a proper host, I took up the rear of the line and only three slices remained when I got to the platter. Everyone enjoyed the meat.[p]Enjoy your meal.[p]Paul

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    eggor,
    One way to eliminate some of the smoke is to let your fire get good and established for 1/2 hour or more, and let it just hold at your cooking temp before you put youyr food on. Fresh lump puts off more smoke that after the fire has been established. You will still get some smoke, but not as much. Good luck with your next cook.
    Seth

• James
    James Posts: 232
    PapaQ,[p]Surely you sampled while you were slicing, right? [p]I thought the host was supposed to go first.[p]
  • Fireball,
    Funny, almost everybody down here has a pecan(and that sounds like can) tree in their yard and few of us use it to cook. Oak is most popular.
    CGR