Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Knee Arthritis Followup

Options

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Three months is what my doctor said was normal, but I could be a bit sooner because I'm "active." Apparently, many of the knee replacement people have allowed themselves to vegetate and are really out of shape.

Spring "Vegetat'n Is For Sissies" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Heed the advice I my doctor suggested or you may find yourself 'unsuitable' for the surgery.

Spring "Nice To Be Suitable" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I asked about having both done at the same time. He said No. He wants to make sure it takes and then go from there.

I wish they could just put me to sleep, cut me up, plant some titanium, and wake me up in three months. Then I wouldn't have anything to worry about, except maybe Spring Hen opening up the Chicken Ranch to the Wild Bunch. LOL

Spring "Sleep Is What You Make Of It" Chicken
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Good luck Leroy! My b-i-l has had both knees replaced as well as a shoulder. He says he would do it all over again as he was in pain for years and he's pain free now! Of course he now has so much metal in him that he sets off the metal detectors when he even gets near the airport! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    Spring, getting the replacement will do wonders for you. My mom got both of hers replaced in the last two years (her 68th-9th) and she is back out walking the dogs, and helping out on the farm (6 chickens) and really more mobile than she had been in years.
    It was scary for us kids - but she made it through with no problems - they have done so many of these that complications are hardly a concern.
    I've got bad arthritis in my knees and at 37 figure I've got quite a few years of pain left before I have to make that decision to have them replaced since they say the replacements have a limited warranty so-to-speak.

Anyhoooo.....I hope your 'procedure' goes as well as my mom, bro-in-law, and father of bro-in-law did. they all recovered quick. With the "Spring" I've seen in your step I'm sure you'll be back in no time. Hang in there my friend.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I'll file this under.......knees to know basis....for the appropriate time. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Leroy, glad you have it more clear now, needless to say we wish you the best in the process.
  • LoneStarEgg
    LoneStarEgg Posts: 287
    Options
    You are right about the window of opportunity. My step father has terrible knees and due to other health issues he cannot have them fixed. I wish you the best with your surgery and will pray for your quick recovery. Keep us posted .
  • EggTurner
    EggTurner Posts: 108
    Options
    Spring Chicken,

I know about "bone on bone." I had left knee replacement surgery two years ago. I had some complications but now am very glad that I had it done. I wish you well.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Yea, air travel is going to be real exciting from now on. But like I said below, a good 'frisking' might make my day LOL

Spring "HELP!! I've Been Frisked" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks. All the reports I'm getting are saying the same thing: it's not a big deal anymore. That and the possibility of not having to endure pain.

Maybe I can get that that 'spring' back in my step. As Martha would say, "That's a good thing."

Spring "Too Much Spring And Not Enough Go" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Ha... I'll have to remember that 'when the time comes.'

As it stands now all I want to know is how soon can we 'git 'er done?'

Spring "Cleared For Bottom Secret" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks Beli. I'm pretty sure everything will turn out just like everyone says it will.

Of course they always tell you that surgery is surgery and there are always risks up to and including dying. I'm certainly not worried about dying from it. For one thing my Texas Drivers License clearly says that I will not expire until May 2011. LOL

Spring "New Knees Needs New License" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, that Window of Opportunity really hit me. If he had not mentioned it I might go along forever thinking I've always got time to have it done later. But like your step father, I might wait too long and have to suffer the rest of my life.

Spring "No Better Time That Right Now" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    When I saw that X-ray I knew exactly what I was seeing. One side of my knee had a wide gap and the other side had no gap at all. It was then that I realized that I was worse off than I thought. The doctor confirmed it as we talked. Even now I'm still in shock that I let it go this far for this long.

Glad to hear that your 'complications' turned out okay.

Spring "Slightly Complicated But Subject To Change" Chicken
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    He only got 1 done, his other one is fine. His problem was only in the one knee due to a primary injury when he was young and then he re-injured it a few years ago. He had already had corrective surgery years ago in between these incidents.

He was to the point where he couldn't walk without pain and it was affecting his day to day life and mobility. He suffered with a partial disability for a few years because he didn't want another surgery. Now he wishes he'd gotten it done sooner.

Good luck with yours.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that Leroy. Hope you don't have to wait long and all goes well.

Gary
    canuckland
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    leroy. .. go get those knees replaced!!... .my dad has had both of his replaced, and once you get past the pain of the actual surgery you will be the happiest man in town. . .my dad is 85 now and totally pain free in both knees.. . once you recover from the actual surgery itself, you will be totally pain free and feel like a new man. . .. you won't be sorry. ...

and dad had both done at the same time!!...
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You're welcome and thanks. Maybe I can change my handle to Twinkle-Toes when it's all over and done with.

Spring "Twinkle Twinkle Little Knee No More Pain I'm Happy To See" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    My doctor does not want to do both at the same time. It was my first question after learning that I had to have it done. He said he wants to make sure the first one takes before doing the second one.

If I had known I was this bad off years ago I would have had it done then. Now I only get to enjoy my new knees for fifteen more years (my grandfather and father died at 84 so that's my target date).

Spring "Knee Deep In Bad Knees" Chicken
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Chicken I hope all goes well. Will see you at OK but you are so right. People put off things that are unpleasent as long as they can and then sometimes it's to late. Take my colonostamy's for example. Don't like them but cance pollaps are no fun eather! ;)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    actually leroy, from what i understand, these joints only last around 15 years or so, so your timing is pretty good.. ..after 15 years you'd have to get them replaced again anyway.. .. so if you had them done earlier, you'd still be looking at getting them done again. ...

seriously though. ..get a second opinion on getting them done at the same time. .. .why go through the pain and rehab twice??.. . what does he mean "if they take"?? of course they'll take. .. they have to . .. you can't put the old ones back. ...yes, you'll have more rehab if you do both at once, but then its all done. .. .go talk to some folks that have had it done both ways and then make an educated decision. . ..hell, i'll give you my dad's phone number if you want... .and he was 81 or so when he had both done and he came through with flying colors. . ..and due to his bronchial issues, he was wide awake for his surgery. ..got to hear them sawing and hammering and drilling, etc. ...nothing to it!!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Max, if I remember right, you dad is a war vet? but Leroy is a chicken :P ;) :silly:

Gary
    canuckland
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I appreciate that info and you Leroy!! Godspped with this journey!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Hey!!!!!!!

Spring "Only Name Rank And Cell Phone Number Soldier" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    That would be cool but I'm a bit of a worry wart on doing both at the same time.

When I had cataract surgery I only wanted to do one eye at a time. Good thing too, because my eye got infected and I lost 90% of the vision in it.

A one-legged, one-eyed, naturally-clumsy, rum-drink'n old phart is not the perfectly tuned and balanced person you may think he is.

Spring "I'll Do Both But At Different Times" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Yea, that's something else I've got to do. Same doctor as last time so I can truthfully say he's gone where no other man has gone before LOL

Spring "Right Now Should Be Soon Enough" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You're welcome. And although I'm not looking forward to three months of therapy and restrictive movement, I am looking forward to being able to walk upright without wobbling, or grunt'n, or moaning, or smelling like Ben Gay.

Spring "Then I'll Be In Good Shape For The Shape I'm In" Chicken
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I hate to hear that you have to go through that.I'm glad that you caught it in time.Best wishes and luck my friend.You know we ALL LOVE you and Miss Hen! :)
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Leroy:

I've been putting off having my left knee replaced for a few years, but "putting off" has just about reached the end of the road...don't like pain anymore, so I too need to just "get'r done".

Good luck!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL