Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Steel Keg

WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I'm strolling through Menard's and come across this metal thing that looks strangely familiar, yet completely alien.

I come home to look it up and Bingo! This thing has been around awhile (Bubba Keg Grill), made by a company that started out making travel mugs, and now they've changed their name.

A cruise over to their forum shows a little speculation as to why the hell they would choose this new name. I wonder!!!!

Big Steel Keg.......rhyme with anything? Don't know much more other than what I read, but they really try to put it out there that their product is a no brainer vs. a fragile ceramic cooker. This causes me to pause and wonder, "Why then is your warranty so very short?"

Comments

• Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    I did good bit of research on their product when I was deliberating on my purchase. While I beleive they have a pretty good product, the quantity of people praising the egg, its warranty, customer service, and reputation led me to buy the egg and I couldn't be happier. They did design the bubba/big steel keg so that the lbge eggcessories fit perfectly. I thought the hitch for travel was a nice feature along with the two grates, one of which has a swivel for access to bottom grate. Regardless, you know that when a company mimics yur name, shape, and design so that their products are compatible they are trying to keep up with the best... As they say, imitation is the most sincerest for of flattery....
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I think it's great. BGE didn't invent the Kamado cooker, but they did make an excellent example of one. I hope more companies catch on with this. Competition is great for the market.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    I also saw one of those in the North Platte, NE Menards
    and wasn't too impressed. They did get a dig in with the reference to the "superior gasket unlike other felt gaskets" (prob not verbatim) . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Stacy,

My old man picked one up last year. The model used to demo the product for WalMart.

They need to be oiled to keep the rust at bay. :laugh:

I set him up with both style therms, and now I just need to pay them a visit to see the thing in operation.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    My BIL, who has used my Small Egg, saw one in Home Depot the other week. My sister told me that he said "It's like one of Ron's Big Green Eggs, but unbreakable". :P