Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much do you use a week?

Options
JEH
JEH Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all....I am new to the world of BGE. Purchased a Large on March 1st. I have already gone through 20lb of lump. How much lump do you use on average per week?

Thanks.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    JEH,

This year it's been about fifty 18 lb bags..maybe more :)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I really have no idea, but when I first got mine, it seemed like I was going thru lump like there was no tomorrow. Now, it doesn't. Remember, you can reuse the lump. I filled mine up last week for a butt cook. When I was done, 14 hrs later, half the lump was still there - two more cooks on that same load.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I just started but I went through a 20lb in three weeks. I'll be increasing that once I get everything in order.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Dude, it's only MARCH!!!!!!!! 50? Really?! Are you heating your house with it?!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    About 25 20# bags per year for me..can't break it down to weekly...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I use the egg(s) almost every day. High temperature burns will use more lump. It all depends on your situation and the times you cook. I use quite a bit but I use the eggs a lot.

I stopped counting several years ago.

GG
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    It really depends on what you are cooking and how often, give us a little more info and let everyone know how you are setting your vents, you will get help here :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Michael,

I meant calendar year! Did you get a delivery?
    Your cohort in TX did.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Nope, nuthin'. I would have let ya know, ya know? I guess Texas is closer to Canada than Connecticut - isn't it? :) Canada Post strikes again! :lol:

Looking forward to tomorrow's mail though!! You have email access in FL?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    steveanelson@hotmail.com

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    20 lbs. average.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    No kidding?! Dayum!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Yeah,I'll average burnin 2-10 lb. bags a week. :blush:
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    I believe it varies tremendously based on the lump. The bag of BGE lump we purchased went VERY quickly. So, based on some internet research (Naked Whiz website, too), we started trying different brands. We did not have much success with the Cowboy brand, although others have great results. We have been using the Royal Oak from WalMart lately, and it seems to be working quite well for us.

The bags are 10 pounds for a little over 6 bucks. We use a bag in 2-3 weeks, depending on how much high temp or smoking we do. Most of the time, my hubby will put a big load in on Sunday and cook on that same load for at least a few days.

Of course, we've been using the BGE every single night (in preparation for the Eggfest!), so we've gone through a little more this month than normal. :blush:

Julie
  • Marty4UT
    Marty4UT Posts: 34
    Options
    I use 10 to 20 lbs. a week. I have three eggs and it takes a lot if i have a big cook. I also travel for living, so if i am not home, I use less.
  • SmokinInCypress
    Options
    I've had my egg for about 3 weeks and I've used almost 20lbs...
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    I dont even want to know how much, I egg at the very, very least 5 nights a week.I guess a 20#bag every week and half...
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    i use about a 10lb bag of royal oak a week on average. We try to cook on the at least 4 times a week. Generally my cooks are chicken of somesort, either raised direct or direct, and generally around 400degF, and searing at around 600degF for steaks.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    15 to 20 lbs a week. But I cook enough food to feed me and my friends at work and my wife at home. I cook a lot of chicken for me and hamburgers for my wife. I will cook a prime rib roast this weekend and ribs. And a picnic ham. Darn, I am going to be busy this weekend!