Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not really OT - what do you think about this?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I believe there is a poll taking feature on this board, but I don't recall seeing it used so I'll start my own tonight.

When you are a registered member and you click on a fellow egger's name their profile pops up. It seems like very few newbies ever reveal much more than they are in the US - I assume that could even be by default as some of our Canadian brethren are listed as US! Personally I think more profile is interesting and could further cement our group...therefore why not make more info mandatory. What do you think?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Probably "safety concerns"in this day and time. :(
  • RRP
    Options
    I hear you, but it's not like we will be posting our PIN numbers or SS. I just checked your profile for instance and that info and a buck will get me a cup of java and you can still sleep sound and safe!
  • Hoss
    Options
    I would put more info on if there was a place to put it or I knew how.Hell,I ain't skeered.I'm just suggesting that is the reason for keeping it so vague.I don't know. :unsure:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mandatory? No way.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Options
    I'm with you.Voluntary,sure,mandatory,NOPE.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Hoss, space bar broken? :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Yeah, Ron, that would make things more interesting for us. We brought this up after the forum makeover, but, it never was acted upon. If you recall, more information was available prior to the changeover and it was pretty cool to know someone's 'real name' and where they were from, etc. I miss that old stuff....... :sick:
  • Hoss
    Options
    Ruck-Row! :blush: I knew they had that darn preview thingie for some reason! :whistle: :S
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks, John - guess I missed that thread/poll during the conversion. BTW please check your email via this board in few minutes as I found something that made me laugh and think of you!
  • RRP
    Options
    actually since it had an attachment that didn't seem to work so I sent it to the "wind" email address - I hope that's still valid.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I've been registered on this Forum since 1999 or thereabouts. And I pretty much included everything about me in my profile except my underwear size and SS#. During that entire time I've never felt I was threatened by the posting of my profile data.

I've always urged people to post more information about themselves. There's those who argue that making it 'mandatory' will drive people away. I think not. There's too much cooking information here for them to leave.

But you also have to take into account those who never post anything and probably don't intend to post anything. So do you make it 'mandatory' only if you intend to post or do you make it 'mandatory' for everyone?

In my mind I would like to see at the very least a person's hometown.

I think you're fighting an uphill battle to get everyone to complete a registration form with lots of personal information.

Spring "Size 44" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i know what you mean about the profiles i look at several when i see something that may indicate there is a egger near me. i think i remember when we came over there was alot more but several did not like it. i remember most hating the ability for someone to give kudos or taking away kudos. even thop i did not recieve much kudos i remember several complaining that someone would just click the tumbs down icon to torment others. that was about the first thing i remember others hating. i did not get any so i did not give a turd either way.

i also remember there were lots of posts about where people were from. then someone came up with the idea about zip codes. that was just confusing. there are some who still have their zip code in their signature (mike in abita, and fiero guy still have them) then someone came up with the city and state thing. that is what i did and have kept it just in case i run across someone near me. there are some who do not do that and i just assumed they did not care to participate (for whatever reason). but i have personally kept mine, because i have met some real great people. some very near (rockytopsc, and miles of smiles) i have spoken to others near me but they must have already understood that i am a a$$ and did not buddy up..

anyway you asked :laugh:

i hope you and pat are well

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Wow! Maybe, just maybe, grown-ups should be allowed to decide for themselves what they wish to share, and to whom. I know this is a radical idea in the "Nanny State" age. Several members here have everything from my telephone number to my address, and know where the spare bedroom is. I've met, helped, and been helped by these folks. I've been blessed with some great new friends because of this forum. :):)
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    RRP,

I like the idea of more info in the profile. It really doesn't mean much when you pull up someone's profile and it says US, LBGE. I think making a couple of more fields mandatory like, city and state would be nice. Making more fields mandatory might weed out some of the trolls as well. I'm not talking of course about any personal information, but some general info would be great. I would enjoy having a little more insight to the people who post on here. Just my opinion, but it could facilitate more of a "community" on here. I like your idea.

Just as a side note, the negativity on the forum lately has really made me want to stop participating as much. It seems that every time someone brings up an idea or asks a question that some member or troll has some negitive or combative statement. It seems to me that this should be a place of kindred spirits that just enjoy the same hobby, and not a place for people to display their negativity. If a post doesn't appeal to you, just go to the next, no one really needs or cares about your negative attitudes. This forum to me really comes down to a love of cooking and our chosen cooking device, if you want to be combative, join the UFC, or at least have the B#lls to post as yourself.
  • RRP
    Options
    I hear you Leroy - even with my deaf ear! BTW you and me with our missin parts might add up to being a whole! It's a different world and I realize that.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Interesting question and answer's. I meet you at the Peoria eggfest and found that to be enjoyable. I guess I feel that a person needs to "go forth" and meet.
    Reading the board as a newbie it became very apparent that eggfest are where the "outgoing" people who own eggs are at.
    I attended Peoria to meet people not to see an egg or what they can do. I learn those facts by the board.
    What I am saying is we need to encourage people to wear name tags that show board handle and real name and go from there.
    E
  • RRP
    Options
    Good point! I like the name tag idea too and will suggest that to the owners - OTOH tell you what I'll do on my own...I'll furnish the name tags and marker so those who wish to use them can! How's that? :laugh:
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    I for one, couldn't agree with you more, Smoking Coles.
    You really hit the nail on the head.
    I'm all for one that brings us closer, as a whole.
    One don't have to agree with everybody, all the time, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be closer.
    There was waaay too much trolling and negativity here a while back. Probably the most I've ever seen (luckily) in any forum, anywhere. (and I'm a member of several motorcycle riding forums.)
    That said, this is a wonderful, fun, and very interesting place to hang out, and I'm proud to be a member.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

I agree that the folks who don't live in the US should have their profile say they do. City and State are important, because on many occasions I have seen people that have an issue invited to a local eggers house to learn.
    People have reasons for not wanting too much personal info out in public but I have never felt that way here. I can't even guess at the number of members that have my address and phone numbers. Some even have credit card numbers :huh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    So, what motorcycle(s) do you have? I have a H-D Roadking and my wife has a Deluxe. She also has a Piaggio scooter so that she can pretend to be touring around Rome. That takes quite a bit of pretending when you live in Oklahoma.
  • breadbasket
    Options
    I can't see any reason for people on the forum to be concerned about other posters profiles.
  • RRP
    Options
    That's fine - you're entitled to your opinion - I just checked yours and see that all you want to tell us about yourself was the default part that says you live in the US. Gosh I really feel like I know you now! :whistle:
  • breadbasket
    Options
  • RRP
    Options
    now I remember you - that English muffin thread still bothers you I see!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    cant see mandatory, i could see some not wanting specific info like the town they are in, you dont know whos out theere looking at a pic of your kid etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    I understand. If I had it to do over I would not have used the word mandatory - instead perhaps "encouraged". OTOH those who want to share will and those who don't won't and the beat goes on...
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I just changed mine to include City & State.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Ron, here's an example of why I don't like to put any more info "out there" than I have to. And it certainly has nothing to do with being friendly or getting to know the folks on this fine forum. Even I have made several friends in my short time here! :S I look forward to attending a fest at some point - and I will be happy to wear a name tag! But...

I was recently invited (by a member here in fact) to join facebook. The invitation came from facebook. In an effort to entice me to join, the email listed several names of other facebook members I "might" know. Complete with pics of some of them. I have never signed up for facebook and have never even discussed it with anyone. Yet, as a matter of fact, I DO know 75% of the people they mentioned!! Where did they get those names and how did they know that? I have no idea.

My son says it's because no matter how careful or smart you think you are, those cyber guys are better. I'm sure that's certainly right in my case.

Cyberland already knows far more about us than we should be comfortable with. Apparently, we can't hide, but I'm still not thrilled with making it easier for them.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• breadbasket
    Options
    Not really, I make english muffins all the time and I make the many different ways. I could care less how others make them. Have a good day and take care now. Ya here
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    RVH, I sent you a personal reply!