Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

too little smoke

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You good people were hammering on about the " alder smoke " somewhere down the thread and I was wondering about how long the smoke is actually supposed to last . When I throw the soaked chips on the coals , the smoke only lasts 5 minutes . I wait for the coals to go from glowing red , to a light grey (still very hot ) . Is this average ? There never seems to be any given time-line for this and what I am really looking for is a HEAVY smoke !!!!! What am I missing?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Dave, I think your missing real lump charcoal and cooking with charcoal briquettes.. If so, then your fire is already much too hot for even wet chips and they will dry right out and burn up.
    Switch to lump charcoal and then use wet or dry chunks, (2x2" or bigger) around the perimeter and a few in the center. Your smoke should last a hour or more.[p]Hope this helps...C~W[p]

• Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Was wondering....When starting the lump for a long slow cook, I try and let the dome temp not to go above 200 or 225. By doing so, I have a small fire in the lump and the wood chucks just sit around not giving smoke...any suggestions?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nu-Guy,
    I move the top few coals (directly over your glowing coals) to the side for a second, and put the wood right on the glowing coals. Then move the top few coals back over top. Insta-smoke. And the chunks smoke for quite a while in a 250 fire. Good luck.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nu-Guy, For low and slow I have started my fire in the center by digging down to the grate and placing my starter cube (cut off fire log bits or weber cube). When the cube or (?) is burning nicely, I add some smaller pieces of charcoal on top of the fire and as the charcoal ignites and turns red, then add more charcoal on top, place your wet/dry smoking woods directly on top, and place a few around the immediate center. Put your meat on and adjust your lower vent to a crack to start up. [p]Contrary to some other cooks, I put my meat on before I reach my desired cooking level so I can get the benefits of the smoke as the heat rises in the cooking chamber as I continue to monitor and adjust the lower/top vent's. The first hour will be your maximum affect from the smoke. [p]Glad to help ...C~W[p]

• Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Options
    Dave,
    Hope my question helped with yours. These guys are a terrific resource here on the forum. This is great fun...smok'n 'n egg'n.[p]NG