Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deals at Restaurant Depot??? What deals???

Options
SmokinSoCal
SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought they were supposed to have great deals on stuff. Everything I see is WAY over priced... I don't get it. Am I missing something??? What types of things are people buying????

Thanks!

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    SoCal....Curious to know what you find so overpriced!? They sell food service quality wares, their meats and seafoods can't be beat IMO, beautiful produce..... What do you find so overpriced?
  • SmokinSoCal
    SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
    Options
    I was looking at their add for 12oz NY Strips at $9.50 per pound? Amongst other things. I am just trying to find out what I should be looking for there.
    Thanks
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    SoCal....I have never noticed prices like that there, unless these are pre-packaged., pre-cut, food service ready?? Just a guess....
    I was at RD today, and though I may be off by .20 or so (can't find my receipt), I paid 3.64 or thereabouts for angus skirt steak, and 3.84 give or take for angus flank steaks. Now granted, they are cryovacked and sold in 10-13 pound packages....but compared to the regular supermarket, where flank and skirt range from $6.50 to $7plus per pound. Whole strips and whole ribeyes....under $5 per lb is the norm.
    Their seafood is amazingly fresh, and prices reasonable. (I picked up a 100ct bag of little necks today in the $13 range).
    You can also purchase things not available in regular markets, like Cambro and stainless trays and such....knives (food service heavy duty brute knives....dirt cheap).
    Don't know what I would do without Restaurant Depot... and again, those strips...my only guess is, pre packaged for food service...ready for the grill?
    You need to see the whole package....not just one item. Wish you the best!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I haven't thought their prices are all that great either. But, I go there to buy Land O' Lakes Easy Melt cheese. It's not available to the public, and is what all of the Tex-Mex restaurants use on their enchiladas, chile con queso, etc.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Our typical purchases include Hanging Tender Steaks for $1.90 per pound, ribs for $1.90 per pound, boston butts less than $1.00 per pound. Butter very cheap as well as cheeses.

Some things are more expensives but we save a lot of money at RD...also their RO lump is $8.00 for 18.75 lb bags...and like LC said good inexpensive seafood.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    which store were you at?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    How bout $.92 butts and $1.67 briskets this month?
  • LostinQn
    LostinQn Posts: 21
    Options
    I would love to be able to shop at Restaurant depot. Pretty much limited to costco for good quality meats at a reasonable price.

Sadly i have no tax or reseller numbers B)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The Tampa RD has the best prices on meat, period. Large shrimp (16 -20 per lb.) is $5 per lb, already peeled and deveined.

LostinQn, go to a fest near you and make friends with other eggers. I gave an extra RD card to an egghead I met on the forum that also had no way to get a membership.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Todd,
    If you don't mind driving to City of Commerce, there is a COSTCO BUSINESS CENTER. Different than the usual COSTCO. They cater to businesses. Their prices for meat is very good. Meat is packed for restaurants.

Gary