Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I\'m officially an Egg Head!!!

Eggsimus Maximus
Eggsimus Maximus Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a large egg last weekend and was able to enjoy my first cook on it last night. A 1.5 lb pork tenderloin and a link of italian sausage. The food was DELICIOUS. I already love my new egg.

I had some problems keeping the temp at 350, but I had seen an old post from Grandpas Grub that helped me get it figured out. Thanks, Double G.

Now to my first question... What eggcessories are a must for a newbie? I only have the plate setter and grill gripper. I'd like to get a pizza stone soon. Is the BGE stone my best option?

Any other advice for an egg rookie would be helpful.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Congrats and welcome aboard.
    Yes get the BGE stone.
    I suggest not buying any more Eggcessories right not, but cook a couple months and determine what you might like to have.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Eggsimus Maximus,

The BGE stone is great. I am not familiar with the stone from The Ceramic Grill Store but the adjustible rig is excellent and I can't imagine theirs wouldn't be.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    congrats on the new egg and welcome.....get the BGE stone and get a Thermapen

Also, check out Steven's (aka Little Steven) stuffed burger, I did it last night (sorry no pics) stuffed with American cheese and Bacon, I have to say it was totally kik-arse, can't imaginae doing a burger another way after last night...thanks Steven
  • Welcome. Get the ash tool, probe type thermometer or thermopen and a raised grid to start. You can buy the adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill Store or make your own with some simple hardware. You can use fire bricks or other no flamable products to achieve a raised grid as well. If you interested in it, search the forum, lost of good ideas. A raised grid will get you further away from the fire, but still a direct cook.
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    You need to go out and buy the biggest, most expensive gasser you can get. They make a great place to store eggcessories.
  • Welcome to the cult, you can make a raised grid with a 17-in. webber grid and 4-4-in. SS bolts 12 washers and 12 nuts

Ross
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    you been to my house? :P
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Some sort of temp probe thermometer.
    With the BGE you cook by temp not by time. Nothing worst than showing off your Egg with over/undercooked food. :blush:
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    I see from your handle that you're Latin. Beware the Ides of March!

There's some good advice above. My 2 cents is to get some means of having a raised grill, as you'll find a number of cooks where raised direct grilling is called for. The Thermapen is well worth it - it's a little pricey but getting an instant temp reading is sweet. B)
  • Welcome to the cult!!
    It's a great place to "RESIDE"!!
  • Welcome! You are about to cook and eat some of the best food you have ever prepared! Hanging out here, you'll find great ideas, not to mention...help anytime you need it.
    The BGE Pizza Stone is a good idea, add a V-Rack to your list as well.
    Really like your forum name. Are you cousin to Wille E. Coyote or Road Runner?
    Good Luck. Hope to meet you at a fest some day.
  • Uh oh, not sure I can take guidance from a Sooner. Maybe we can have an Red River Rivalry cookoff before the big game next October. Give you an excuse to make some Bevo Burgers!

Thanks for all the tips guys. Going to try my first pizza tonight.

Hook'em Horns
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    That's funny, the first food I had off an egg was a pork tenderloin too. It was love at first bite and I had my first egg a few days later. I wish I would've had Grandpas Grub info when I started egging it would've saved alot of frustration I had. As for the pizza stone I would only get a BGE one. It's worththe extra money. Down the line you might want to consider getting a digi q for your low and slow cooks. They are the best thing ever.
    Enjoy your new egg and I hope to meet you at an eggfest sometime.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    The BGE stone is your best option for that. "Must". what do you want to cook?
    I mean we get you into grinders, mixers, ect for homemade food. :)
    Good luck and welcome.

Mike
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Welcome to the group!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    You'll know you're an Egghead when:

You have no more friends because you ran them all off bragging about your Egg.

Your wife says STFU every time you mention your egg.

You dream about your next Egg purchase.

You turn down a free trip to Italy because it is at the same time as your Eggfest

You study Nikon vs. Canon to decide which will post the best picture on the forum.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Welcome to the club! :cheer:

We went nuts and bought a bunch of accessories right off. Fortunately, we're using all of them, and don't regret any of our purchases. However, pacing oneself might be a smarter approach! LOL

Have fun!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    hold off on further accessories until you know what it is you will cook regularly. Pizza stone is a good idea and you don't need a $100 thermometer,a $15 version will work just fine. Cookware is nice if you don't have any full flame pots and pans that will probably be something you will eventually want. Maybe a wok early on because you don't need any special device to cook with those althought they are available. cook and enjoy...I bought tons of stuff early and 80% of it never gets used today.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hey! Now wait a minute!!! We're supposed to be in Marbella Spain at this VERY moment...on an all expense paid trip in a 5 diamond resort on the Med....but instead, we are in Melbourne FL to greet our Egghead friends at the Florida Fest... (must just be a Coincidence.... :whistle: ) :blink: