Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you/do you have your eggs on wooden decks?

Options
FrankC
FrankC Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for feedback here...currently, I have my eggs in a large table, sitting on a patio just off of my deck.

The deck is in need of being replaced, and while replacing it, I'm considering building a bump out to place the eggs on the deck, in closer proximity to the kitchen.

I know there's always a chance of a fire hazard, but I'm curious, how many of you keep your eggs on wooden decks? For those of you who say you wouldn't put a grill on a wooden deck, would you change your opinion if the grill were on a fire retardant mat?

fc :)

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    mine in Maine are on wooden deck and in our Gazebo... you have to pay attention.
    burnhole.jpg
    this was a lesson learned for me..
    down here in Fl they are on concrete.
  • Joel
    Joel Posts: 74
    Options
    When I first got by BGE, I considered placing it on my wooden deck but decided against at the advice of a fellow-egger. In hind sight, I think it's the right decision after seeing the amount of sparks and loose embers that can be emitted.

-Joel
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    We have only one Egg that is on a wooden (and covered) deck. It sits atop a mat that is placed on a table. I am a huge fan of MAPP gas torches used to light the lump...except on the deck, as the sparks go everywhere. I now use alcohol (thanks to WileyCoyote for sending me an alcohol "kit" for this) for this Egg. It lights well and does not spark. Still, we don't leave the deck unattended much while the Egg is hot. When we rebuild the deck it will be designed so that there is no wood directly beneath the fire.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Right or wrong my eggs rest on a wooden deck. Besides the screen which wasn't in place yet when this picture was taken I use this metal tray to hopefully catch any embers which might make it through the screen. I probably should use a fireproof mat and might look into one this summer.
    IMG_0581.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    mine sat on the deck til i had a small fire during an overnight, was lucky and the fire died on its own while i slept. its not on the deck anymore. if it were me, i might keep one on the deck maybe for cooks were im watching things, but the one where its cooking unattended during the night i would not want on the deck. i definatly wouldnt deep fry in an egg on the deck :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ewjd
    ewjd Posts: 21
    Options
    Ihave both a large and a small with one in a table and one in it's nest sitting on a hardwood deck for 4 years now without problem. I am the only cook and always aware of closing the spark arrester (screen).
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    I have had mine on a wooden deck for over ten years. However, I have the Egg sitting on a concrete stepping stone that is 3" larger all around than the bottom of the Egg and I have the stone sitting on the three original Egg-legs. That gives the stone a good 1" air clearance underneath.

Long ago someone posted pics of an Egg that had burned right through a wooden deck through the bottom. Live coals fall through the grate on a long cook and that bottom can really heat up. The spark shield on the bottom door is a great and necessary addition, but you *see* sparks. The heat from the bottom of the Egg we tend not to think about.

Bob V
  • 1/2 Chicken
    Options
    My buddy about lost his house from a Weber kettle being in his deck... one coal made it to the deck and burned clear through. He had a pretty nice fire going under he deck before he figured it out. An egg with the screen has to be safer but still... I don't think I would do it regularly. You might look into the concrete pads used for AC units or paver bricks.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I went to Walmart in the automotive section they have a flat drip pan about 1/2 inch deep actully for under a car but it works great under the egg I drilled some holes in it so when it rains the water drains works for me
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I went to Walmart in the automotive section they have a flat drip pan about 1/2 inch deep actully for under a car but it works great under the egg I drilled some holes in it so when it rains the water drains works for me
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    FrankC

I had a fire started on my deck. Wasn't an egg issue but there has been one here. Take every precaution you can. House fires and the ensuing stuff are not fun.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    YES! I have my Egg on a ground level wood deck…BUT, I do not like the idea and one day soon (I hope) this will change.
    Mrs. Potatohead is a smoker and that actually worries me more as I keep a good eye on the Egg and it has a screen on the draft…I do not keep a good eye on Mrs. AND…She doesn’t have a screen :whistle: !!
    A year ago, I started putting down pavers replacing the wood decking, but I don’t like how it was coming together.
    This summer’s project is to remove the wood and pour concrete!!!
    Fire is great and I enjoy it a lot when it isn't my cabin on fire :ohmy: OTOH, it also scares the hell out of me as I’ve had one to battle!
    Summing up:
    Best scenario, put it on a non-combustible surface…If nothing else, do the “wool mat” thing around the Egg on a wood deck
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Sorry about your deck. I agree with you on the unattended cooks. This is why my Large is on a paver stone area around the side of the house.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Also looks like you only have it on the feet with no other barrier under that!!??
    From what I’ve read here, that isn’t even recommended for the “Egg table” and I really have to wonder about setting it on a deck that way.
    Just wondering… :ermm:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i was really lucky, the fire burned thru 2 inch thick boards on the table and the hot coals fell down into a metal pan that was under it, if the pan was an inch or two right or left the deck would have caught B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    My Eggs reside on a wooden deck which is on the first floor but which is the second floor in the back of the house (typical Atlanta home built on a steep hill). I've been using the Diversitech Grill Pad http://www.grillpad.com/ since I bought the Eggs. While it doesn't guarantee that I'll never had a problem, it helps me sleep at night.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    IMG_0581.jpg

not quite - look at the picture again those feet are resting on red cement stepping stones - then since this picture was taken I retrofitted that LBGE to the spring assisted bands which meant I had to increase the height more to clear the opening and I did that by adding yet a second layer of stones!

Now:
    IMG_1227.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Fishless

I crapped my pants thinking about your story. :pinch:

My soon to be ODK will be 100% fireproof around the eggs.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    REALLY good to know!!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Hey Adam...
    Fire out side of where it should be…Is bad, way bad :( :( !!!
    I fought a fire with a true bucket brigade for better then seven hours to save my cabin at Whispering Wings!
    I am sure we were all in some state of shock and perhaps suffering hypothermia too. Once it was said and done.
    I NEVER want to do that again :ohmy: !!
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Hey, thanks for all of the feedback. Like I said, I'm just considering moving them to the deck. OTOH, I'm also thinking that I may be adding a small this summer, and I guess that would end up on the patio. Decisions, decisions....thanks again!

fc ;)
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Frank we keep ours in a gazebo which you can see is all wood and have never had a problem.

004-1.jpg
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I would like to know how in the world ya got em in there with all the beautiful landscaping.....LOL
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I keep mine on a wooden deck. I would be careful of an overhang more than anything.
    Mike
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    LOL!! Very carefully, trust me Wess they won't be moving anywhere. :)
  • Purpose
    Purpose Posts: 91
    Options
    thats beautiful.

Brings tears to my eyes
  • BrisketBob
    BrisketBob Posts: 145
    Options
    Think I'd put a lock on that door. That nest of eggs is real :blink: valuable. :)
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I have four eggs on my wooden deck and feel pretty safe.I don't leave the eggs unattended for any length of time,and I always have a fire extinguisher and water hose close by :)

DSC_0034-4.jpg
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Water hose filled with recycled beer "DOES NOT COUNT" LOL. Have a good time Doug.

Mike
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    HAHAHA Mike :laugh: :laugh: We're gonna miss ya mang :(