Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp Searing

BunkyRub
BunkyRub Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When doing a quick, high temp sear, such as with tuna, has anyone tried getting the grid closer to the coals by placing the grid on the firebox. (Meaning removing the ceramic spacing ring that normally sits on the firebox). Will the grid fit as the BGE tapers down a bit at this point? I realize you can accomplish what I am describing by putting more lump in the egg, therefore getting the coals closer to the grid, but for two 6-8 oz. tuna filets that will sear in only a couple of minutes, this seems like a waste of lump as well as a bit longer process for all the coals to light. Any thoughts?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Bunky Rub,
    For two pieces of tuna, you might consider what Alton Brown did in one of his shows, use a chimney starter with just a smaller grid sitting on top. You can get up to 1500 degrees that way.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BunkyRub
    The Naked Whiz, I have done this back when I cooked on a Weber Kettle and it worked great. My only concern was the safety due to the instability (weight of grid on top of chimney makes for a top heavy set-up) and my young daughter possibly in the area. Just thought an alternative would be getting the grid down lower to the coals if this is possible. BTW, I did steaks last night directly on the coals as you and some others mentioned. Great results and I believe a different taste to the beef.[p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Bunky Rub,
    Gotcha! I think that you can put a grate on the fire ring, but I'm not sure about the size, like you say. Heck, it's Sunday afternoon, go try it! :-) Another thought would be to put a small grate down in the fire bowl and build your fire on that grate. I.e., raise the fire up to the food instead of lowering the food to the fire. I'd wonder about reaching even further down into the flaming cauldron when doing a high temp sear. Also note that with tuna, you want the highest temp you can get, right? More lump means more temp. I wonder what would happen if you had lump down in the firebowl burning and more lump up on the grate burning. Sorta like having an afterburner or two-stage jet engine or something. Anyway, I'm rambling now......[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BunkyRub
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks for your additional ideas-all good ones. I like your analogy to the afterburner! I will let you know about the fit of the standard 18" grid on the fire bowl. May not get a chance to try it until next weekend. Hope things are good in the Raleigh area. BTW, thanks for the great job with your on-going lump data base. What an asset for all of us! I am currently using the Harris Teeter lump and find it very good. Have a great weekend.

• Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    Bunky Rub,[p]Try a cast iron skillet right on the coals. That's how I do my steaks. Sear on the cast iron, pull the skilet off, then put the grid on with the tuna.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    The Naked Whiz, Running at full tilt like that..I would hate to open the lid without the fire department standing by to rescue me from the flash back...