Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hardwood and Lump?

Options
Hawg Fan
Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone ever mix chunks of pecan or other hardwoods with their lump? I have a lot of mesquite and pecan that I use in my large pit and was wondering if I could mix some with the lump in the BGE?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• BlueHorseShoe
    Options
    yes. Every cook
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    How much hardwood do you mix with a full firebox of lump when you're cooking ribs? I used about three chunks (3"X3") last time and barely had a smoke ring.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Absolutely! The chunks produce smoke longer than the chips. Find a woodturner and try to get some of their scraps.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Heck yes!! That's flavor baby!! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I do a country style pork rib, on at about 250 F. for a good 4 hours.
    With that I’ll use about 1/3 a coffee can of chips (about the size of a half dollar) mixed in with the lump.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    That wound be a reall BIG yes ;) !
    About the only time I don't use somke-wood is when I'm baking pizza pies and breads.
    I've got oak, maple, hickory, masquiet, white cedar, wild cherry, apple and grape vine in my shed!
    I hope to get more :woohoo: !!
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    I use about 4-5 nice sized chunks for a long smokey cook. I usually start my fire in the center and spread out the chunks from the center to the outer edge so they burn as the burning coals spread outward. You can always add more during the cook if you want but it can be tricky depending on what's in your egg.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    For a long smoke I would have probably used 6-7 3" pieces spread around the lump and a handful of chips.

This was all pecan for 12 wacks of wibs. Went big time on this one for smoke. A little more than I normally use. B)
    IMG_4362800x600.jpg