Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

Options
Dexterdog
Dexterdog Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I received my AR and spider which I am very excited to use. Already planning ahead for my next purchase which I am thinking should be a cast iron grate. I think the BGE small is 13" and is often used with the Spider for searing but Tom mentioned a 14" would work, if I could find one.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I could find a 14" Cast Iron grate? I appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thank you.

Comments

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    what kind of cooks did you buy your AR & spider for? I've been considering purchasing one. I did purchase a cast iron grate when i bought large egg. Ive never used the standard one yet.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Dexterdog
    Dexterdog Posts: 17
    Options
    For the Adjustable Rig I am thinking I can add many extra butts and ribs when we are entertaining. Since I'm cooking butts through the night, I like to have extras to freeze or give away .

For the spider, I want to be able to sear steaks and that is why I am looking for the Cast Iron grate. Finally, my wife is a lifelong vegetarian and to be honest, I've gained some weight since I got this Egg so using the Wok might be good for both her and I. I believe the Spider to make the Wok cooking too and maybe off-set some of those ribs and butts.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Yes, i was thinking the same thing about the spider. I would like to wok with one.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    The wok is great and you will end up using it more than you think. I've got a gas stove, but it can't approach the heat the egg can produce. Try making fried rice with some of your left over pulled pork! When you get the wok, find a copy of a book, "breath of a wok" for some great recipes.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Where can i buy an authentic wok? If not authentic, then a good one?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Google hammered steel wok and you will get a few choices.

Some like a long handle since they are wokkin with the dome open and it's easy to manipulate the wok. some will get the two handle (below) version that allows the dome to be closed.

Seasoning new wok - Be sure to season - google "seasoning a wok"
    IMG_3289800x600.jpg