Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the grass greener? Seeking input mini/small

WWSis
WWSis Posts: 1,448
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As many of you know my mini kicked the bucket last night. :( Now that I have this "opportunity" to replace an egg, the internal debate has begun...fun, despite my fresh grief :sick: :laugh: We love the mini but I admit it was an impulse buy...Now wondering if I should get a small instead. I have a large; portability is not a big priority; we've used the mini more than the large...just two of us, and the quick prep/low lump consumption is nice. Whatd'ya think?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Julia,

I have both and if there are just the two of you, the mini is perfect. There are four of us and the mini doesn't work out sometimes. I will go with two shifts on it rather than use the small. JMHO

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I love my small egg, and do use it more than the mini hands down..the small is going to be more versatile for you than the mini and not only due to the larger grid size..there are many accesories available for the small and in reality..it cooks very much like the mini IMO...but allows other cooks that just wouldn't fit on the mini or may take longer than a mini load of lump will last...don't get me wrong..I aint knockin the mini at all, but would let my mini go before letting the small go..
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Julia,, the large small is a great combo, I'd make the mini the 3'rd egg
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Quite frankly I've heard talk from small owners and they seem to be a bit more versitle than the mini. As you have already heard. Still portable and low lump consumption. I've been thinking about getting one since Minesoooota. I probably will in Aug. at the Denver fest.
    I also sent you an email.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    just some thing to think about.i got a large not quite a year ago. thought i would like a mini. guess for the reason it would get used more for small cooks. but i got a MBG. turns out it was a great move. 14 in pizza stone ,more room to cook for 2. what ever you get i know you will enjoy it. :)
  • Gotta agree mini as the 3rd egg. I got a mini for Christmas and the idea is that we can take the egg on the road. If not for the portability of the mini, I'd get a small. I had the large occupied by butts Saturday so I used the mini-took 4 shifts to get 2 chicken breast (they were hammered) and 8 smallish burgers. The mini cooked them well, its just that I could have gotten it done in 2 shifts on the small.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Not that I have a small (daughter in KC does :sick: )

but there are more accessorirs for the small (I think) than a mini. Unless of course you already have a few goodies for a mini.

Good luck with your decision!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • WWSis
    Henry, I do have two small stones and a mini Kim woo which I would probably offer to sell if I get a small.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I have both the mini and the small. My small gets used all the time. My dutch oven works great on it, and I can stuff it full of veggies when I'm cooking on my large. The mini travels well, but the small isn't very hard to transport, either.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Julia we bought the small first and had it for 18 mo's before the large. Won a mini about 5 months after the large.
    Just the 2 of us and use the mini most of the time. Have not used the small in 6 mos......
    The mini is just so handy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Hey, Mickey! Remind me, where did you win your wonderful mini? :whistle:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I'll buy them Julia. I think you will probably get the small. Woman's intuitions and all. :lol: :laugh: B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Mickey, why not sell your small to Julia :P :woohoo:

Gary
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Julia, here's a suggestion: Try and remember most of the cooking scenarios (dishes and quantities) in recent months, how many of them would have been more appropriate on a small (13" diameter) instead? The answers should help you decide.

Gary
    canuckland
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I have a large a small and a mini. Couldn't be happier unless I had another large. :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    WWSis - Forgive me, not enough time to read all the replys already, but from my perspective, it was a very happy day when we sold our mini. I found it frustrating when we couldn't even fire two good sized ribeyes. We upgraded to a medium, and have never looked back! In my opinion, I think you would be lovin' that small!!! :whistle: And I'll bet Fido couldn't knock it over near as easy.... :laugh:
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Everyone has good points, I have a large, small and the mini. If your not going to transport much, then I would go with the small. I use my small more then the Lg. and the Mini put together. The Mini is good for the small stuff, hamburgers 3 or 4 pieces of chicken. But when you want to do up a couple nice steaks then the small is perfect for that. I did last night a whole chicken on the Small and was perfect. Good luck with ever you decide.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    MINI_MINI_MINI_MINI_MINI_MINI
    Can I say it better. Why abuse the memory of a faithful tool because it broke. What a shame....
    E
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Hi Julie,
    You could still use your stones from your Mini on a new small.
    I have both Small and Mini. If I had to give up one it would be the Mini.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WWSis
    Gary, a great idea...Mickey? :woohoo:
  • WWSis
    Thank you everyone; I do appreciate the input! I am definately leaning toward the small...gotta check out prices, too; I will await any decision, though, until I rule out winning an egg at the sunshine fest! AND/OR until Mickey decides whether he'll sell me that small of his! :whistle: Will keep you posted! :woohoo: :P
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I agree with Pat....
  • :evil: OR Mickey could return the Plano Mini to it's rightful keeper! ME :woohoo:
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    i say a small.... i have a large .... sold my mini not versatile enough....i' m thinking of buying a medium... ray
  • WWSis
    DOW, Exactly! I will certainly defer... :laugh: