Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket HELP!!

Options
bob in st lou
bob in st lou Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok you brisket eggsperts. I tried to do a low and slow on brisket this weekend and it failed miserably. I saw a post by Lawn Ranger on a brisket he did and showed pictures and I tried his method unfortunately with way different results.
I put on a mustard wash and then the rub. I also injected the brisket with Dr. Pepper cola as he suggested. I wrapped it and left it refrigerated overnight. Took it out the next day and reapplied some rub and put it on indirect at 250. After 2 hours or when the temp got to 150 I put it in an aluminum pan with some water. I checked the temp 2 hours later with the Thermapen and it registered 195 - 205 so I took it off and wrapped it. Opened it later for dinner it it was terrible! I was hard and extremely chewy. Like an overcooked roast and not like brisket at all. Good thing I have two dogs or it would have been a complete throw away.
What did I do wrong?

Comments

• bryansj
    bryansj Posts: 79
    Options
    bob in st lou wrote:
    What did I do wrong?

I'd say it started when you put it in an aluminum pan with some water.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    What was the size of the brisket? I only cook whole packer cuts (12 - 14 lbs) and they usually take about 15 hours at 250 dome.
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    Unless it was a teenie tiny brisket, there is no way that it should have gotten to 195-205 internal in 4 hours. Did you check the calibration of your dome and meat thermometers? Sounds like something was off.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I think LR's cook was a high temp one, and he finished it in a foil pouch.... From the "chewy" description of your brisket it sounds like yours was undercooked. Briskets can be braised in liquid until they are actually falling apart, and no matter how you cook one .... it's a good idea to not cook by temp alone. You should monitor the temp and also probe it for tenderness.

Like the others asked, what size was it?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Did I understand that you "put it in a pan of water"?

If so, where in the world did that come from?
  • bryansj
    bryansj Posts: 79
    Options
    THA wrote:
    Did I understand that you "put it in a pan of water"?

If so, where in the world did that come from?

Maybe he thought he was supposed to be "soaking" the meat instead of "smoking" it.