Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk again!

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Still doin some buttermilk experiments. Today, I just slapped together an interesting marinade for some thighs I just thawed! I just started grabbing stuff. [p]Started out with a bowl and maybe 1/2 cup buttermilk.
Chucked in:
1 t Prudhommes Poultry Magic
1 t JJ's rub
2 T mustard
1 T Oyster sauce
2 Fat garlic cloves (pressed)
1 T wine
1 squirt Sriracha sauce (love that stuff[p]Marinade smells great, but I have NO CLUE what will happen here.
Sound edible?[p]Q on.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds like a good experiment! Can't wait to here what you make![p]Smokey
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds like a winner to me. I love those 'speriments where you just go through the spice cabinet and pantry and throw in whatever seems to trip you trigger at the time. Buttermilk is a great base for starting things.[p]BTW, do you use real buttermilk or do you get the powdered stuff. I used to use the real but it goes bad so quickly in the fridge that I was always throwing away a big bunch of it. And no matter what, the price of the half gallon is only about 10 cents more than the quart so I usually bought the half gallon telling myself that I'd find something to do with it. I made a lot of bread with it but STILL would up throwing a lot away. Anyway, if you're not familiar with it, you can find the powdered in the area with the condensed milk and dry milk, usually by the cake mixes.[p]Just a FWIW if you have not used it. I've not found any differences in it. If I were drinking it I'd get the real but for marinades and such I like the powdered.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    With twin girls to pack lunches for, and feed at home, I am at the grocery store every other day. I buy buttermilk by the pint. I use it before it goes bad. Still just learning about it though. I'll see how this thing comes out. P[p]Probably will cook the thighs at 275 direct for 25 minutes a side, and brush on a little oyster sauce for the final 10 or 15 minutes.[p]Also picked up some shrooms, sugar snap peas, vidalia onion, and plum tomatoes. Gonna do a egg terryaki veggie stir fry on my grill topper wok.[p]Serve it all up with sliced seedless cucumber, and jasmine rice. Yaba. Daba. Doo.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Smokey,
    I feel pretty good about this one, but you never know!
    See my response to Sprinter above for the game plan. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Fun stuff.
    seeya
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds great. That oyster sauce basted on them at the end will be an interesting addition. I have dinner over at the folks house this evening for my brothers birthday. My dad is grilling (not egging, have not sold him yet) some fresh salmon he caught last weekend in MI.[p]Speaking of fish sauce, I egged that fish last thursday evening, unfortunately trash day is also on thursday for us. That means that those fish parts have been in the trash for about a week now. I bagged them up real well but I definitely know that there is fish in my trash can. Yech.[p]Enjoy the dinner.[p]Troy
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    sprinter,
    That's interesting. i've use the dried buttermilk in baking and found it to be lacking in flavor compared to fresh. I've had buttermilk keep for a month in my fridge - maybe your's isn't keeping food cold enuf?[p]Mary

• sprinter
    Mary,[p]Sorry, fat fingers this AM.[p]I think that maybe it gets too cold (read frozen occasionally)? I have an OLD refrigerator in the house, installed in 1957 by GE as a spec. kitchen. Long story but its there and we use it. Installed on the wall just like upper cabinets. Pretty cool but will be replaced with a kitchen remodel "some day". There is not too much difference between the temp of the fridge and the freezer at times. Whatever the 30 year old compressor wants is what we get as far as temp goes.[p]I agree that the buttermilk powder is a "bit" lacking compared to the fresh. I always have a tub of the powder and maybe its just laziness that has caused me to use it more than the fresh. There is limited space in the fridge and when I think about making bread or using Butermilk in a marinade, its a spur of the moment thing. (generally its when the kids give me about 20 minutes of peace) so a trip to the store is not practical. Concessions have to be made, this is one that I make. GOOD bread is made with the real stuff though, man is it good too.[p]Troy