Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how do you crumble blue cheese?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We love blue cheese crumbled on our salads and used to buy them in small tubs. It dawned on me why not just buy wedges and crumble them "fresh" so they don't dry out. Last night I did, but used a grater which produced long slivers, not crumbles BUT the taste was so far superior! Any tricks to crumbling?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Use your fingers and crumble it.
  • RRP
    LOL - I would never have thought of that! Thanks Bobby!
  • These are the kind of questions that ruin this forum.
  • RRP
    pardon me? Sorry if I offended you, *sshole!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Actually it depends on the moistness of the blue cheese. If you try crumbling Papillion with your hands you will just end up with a mess. :( It is too moist.
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    That lurker guy must bought a bubba keg grill instead....LOL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    lurker wrote:
    These are the kind of questions that ruin this forum.

I disagree. His post was fine. YOUR post is the kind that ruins this forum. You have something to say? At least grow some balls and post with your name.

I know we're not supposed to feed trolls. Is it okay to feed *ssholes?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I'm interest in the answer - hopefully you will get good advice Ron.

Got lazy the other day and bought some blue cheese stuffed olives - gotta be cheaper buying olives and then stuffing which I have done in the past.

I wonder if either semi-freezing would help or maybe going the opposite way.

It seems as if someone posts under an annonomous name, it is always negative. I have posted without logging in a couple times but used my name similar to "Sundown offline".
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    For some reason RRP and I don't seem to be in agreement much of the time. This time we sure are.
    Lurker, it is ass'es like you and other lurkers negatively affect the forum.
    What seems like an obvious question can often be more involved than one might think.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I like to use a fork to break up the bleu or gorganzola cheese. When stuffing olives I also like to add a caper, if you like them.
  • RRP
    Rich,
    do you have a favorite method then for moist cheese? Honestly the grated tasted spunky and fresh - the long slivers just looked odd.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ron,

If it is a creamy cheese, put it in the freezer for an hour. If it is aged and drier, slice it at your desired thickness and break up the pieces or slice them into squares but you lose the eye appeal.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP, I have come across the same problem, I usually buy the chunks & it is often a bit of a pain to crumble, many brands seem to be too moist to get true crumbles, what I do with them (if they don't crumble with your fingers) is just cut with a knife into small cubes, not really the look you're going for, but you've gotta do what you gotta do, right... Marc
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    I know I don't post as much as I use to Ron, but geez.

lol.

I got your e-mail so no worries my friend.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ron,

Hahahahaha.

Get rid of the flat view man :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    :blink: , Doh! LOL
  • Bacchus
    You'd tink with 4000 posts I might have a clue huh?
    :laugh:
  • I don't use much blue cheese, but I use crumbled feta a lot on salads, etc. If the cheese is too moist to use your fingers, a fork works well too. If you want to do the work, you could get a cheese slicer and then crumble the slices.
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Ron,

Hold the blue cheese in one hand and hold a fork in the other. Rake the fork across the face of the cheese to make crumbles.

John
  • RRP
    Thank you Marc, we have a few new good sources of cheese wedges in our community so I will start experimenting to find what brand that is available here works best. Hope I don't need an army of mice to get rid of the bad ones!
  • RRP
    Thanks, Steve - what I just bought is fairly solid, but now I'll be shopping.
  • RRP
    Good to see you posting again, John! I like your advice too. BTW I sure hope that you and Sergio can make it to the 8th annual Peoria Eggfest on Saturday, June 5th! why the heck do I feel like a high school cheerleader hyping this event like I do? :laugh: :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I found a recipe for bleu cheese dressing once upon a time and it called for a Danish variety. My local store carries the Rosenborg brand so that's what I've been buying. It crumbles nicely with my fingers, though it does tend to stick to them a bit. Washes off though. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I'd imagine the same way you do feta when bought in a brick - with your fingers.