Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steak?????

Options
Hoss
Hoss Posts: 14,600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a Flat Iron steak to cook.Any suggestions on marinades before cooking? :huh:

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hot and fast buddy!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Options
    Should I marinate it or just S&P and cook?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I just use S&P, or a little montreal, and sear the heck out of them. I normally slice them on a cutting board rather than plating like a hunk of steak.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hoss

You can marinate but if you just sear it turn it crosswise flip and do the same thing on the other size and rest, you should be real close. Pull at about 120* or less for me. Slice across the grain for serving. Poolman and Ross in Ventura can give you better advice cause the ones we get here are pretty thin. They have a good bold flavour on their own.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Options
    For the tips.This is my first try at this cut.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I got nuthin', bud. But you get serious extra credit for using the words marinade and marinate correctly!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Options
    :laugh: Thanks!
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    hoss , little steve got it right on. i did some 1 week ago . S&P great steak.need to get more to cook. :woohoo:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I did one with EVOO and S&P at OKC and Denver last year with dang good reviews!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    I like to marinate mine for a few hours in mojito marinade that I buy from the Dinosaur BBQ. Here is the recipe from their book: B)

Mojito Marinade

1/4 cup chopped garlic
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cups fresh orange juice
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup olive oil
    4 tsp kosher salt
    1 Tbs black pepper
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp dried oregano
    1 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro

Mix garlic, onions, orange juice, and lime juice in a bowl. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan until just smoking. Caution: the next step requires mitts or Ove glove. Slide the contents of the bowl into the hot oil - be careful because the liquid can splatter! Simmer for 5 minutes to soften the onions and garlic. Season the marinade with the rest of the ingredients. Pour everything into a blender or food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Pour into a plastic container & chill. Will keep for a few weeks. Makes 2 1/2 cups.