Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

harsh smoke flavor

Options
Rafterdude
Rafterdude Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Harsh smoke flavor.
Did some ribeyes right after doing some burgers for the teenage xbox overflow last night. Noticed the egg was smoking more than usual, the steaks were also flavored more than ususal. Could this have been due to the fat off of the burgers? Currently using bge lump with great results, so far. I guess the fat from the steaks could have caused this?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Rafterdude,
    The fat dripping from burgers can cause a choking thick smoke, but so can a fire that is not fully established. Was the smoke from the fire cleared up mostly when you put the burgers on?? When your charcoal fire gets established, the thick smoke will clear and thin considerably. This is when to put your food on. If you did this, then most likely the thick smoke you got was fat smoke.[p]The smoke from the fat has a totally different flavor, and does not taste like wood smoke. Did you notice the flavor of the smoke? [p]Not sure if this helps, but we'll get it fingered out!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Rafterdude,
    I find that the egg smokes a lot if it isnt up to temp
    (400 deg or over) even if there is lots of smokin chips it clears up after 400 deg if the egg isnt hot enough or the fire hasnt got established the smoke will be very heavy and taste overpowering in the meat when I am "grilling" I leave the daisey wheel off and adjust the temps with the bottom vent that helps to evacuate a lot of the smoke out of the dome.
    just my thoughts
    Glenn

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Rafterdude,
    if using smoking wood bware the bark, mesquite bark produces gobs of smoke but leaves a nasty taste/smell.
    hickory bark or even the nuts in the green husk can be used but use sparingly, it will leave a black goo if you go to much.
    just beware green woods and bark

• Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    Options
    Rafterdude,[p]I'm learning same thing the eggsperts have been saying.
    I recently added some coal to a dying fire and it smoked heavily until the new fire got going. The chicken that was on it tasted horrible.[p]As the others have said, the smoke clears once the coals heat up - so, I'm going to wait before putting on the meat.

• Rafterdude
    Rafterdude Posts: 39
    Options
    Nature Boy,joder, jwitheld, glenn,
    Thanks for the input. Will make sure the fire is up to temp and keep a closer eye on the lump. Thanks for your input!
    Tap er light
    Rafterdude[p]