Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Help

Bluedot
Bluedot Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked ABT's tonight for the first time after reading about them in the forum. I used shrimp, cream cheese, a cajun seasoning and wrapped with bacon. They were good but somewhat bland.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to liven them up?

Thanks

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    I mix a pepper jack,cojita and cream cheesew/cilantro and garlic.I have been putting Tsunami spin on the bacon and it has turned out tasty!!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

P.S.
    Try some spicy sausage inside or Carne Asada

DALE
  • Use maple flavored bacon and sprinkle them with dizzy dust before and one time during the cook. Make sure you cook them low and slow to help get the bacon flavor thru-out. I use pulled pork for mine, like many others hear, and I think it would have a better flavor for something like this than skrimps.....but who knows......
  • Bluedot
    That recipe sounds great and like it adds a lot of life to it.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    You can liven them up by leaving more veins in the jalapeno. That will add heat to the flavor. You can dust them with John Henry’s butter pecan rub to add a hint of sweetness. Don’t know what flavor yours was missing but you can really play with ABTs when preparing them. I find the guys like them hotter and the ladies look for the sweater taste. Good luck.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Did you put the cajun seasoning on the outside of the wrapped bacon or just in the cream cheese?

When I make mine I will mix a spicy seasoning in with the cream cheese and then put a sweeter bbq rub on the outside of the bacon before cooking. When there's about 15 minutes left in the cook I will baste them with some bbq sauce.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Bluedot,

When I do shrimp I use emmenthal mixed with the the cream cheese and some dehydrated onion and some chili flakes mixed in. I mix pineapple bits in as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    What does ABT mean? sorry still learning the lingo in here.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Atomic Buffalo Turds. BTW click on this slide show to see them being made.
    th_IMG_1083.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC09914a.jpg

Did you season the cream cheese? I hit mine pretty heavy, but stay away from any rubs that are too salty since I have the bacon taking care of that. I go with a pretty thin bacon, so it doesen't overpower the pepper and the cheese.

DSC09918a.jpg

DSC09951a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bluedot
    I used Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Magic. I did however use it more sparingly than you. I won't next time.

Thanks