Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Why do I need a Turbo grate?

BADaQBADaQ Posts: 159
edited 12:01AM in EggHead Forum
Was looking below, DO I need one and what for?
Thanks
·

Comments

• Sooner EggSooner Egg Posts: 578
    mind me asking what a turbo grate is and where you saw it
    ·
  • MJF24MJF24 Posts: 146
    It is something that replaces the grate at the bottom of your Egg to improve air flow and prevent a fire from going out. You'll find it here: http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Turbo-Grate.html

I believe if you search the forum, you will find mixed reviews.
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I don't need one. -RP
    ·
  • Sooner EggSooner Egg Posts: 578
    I guess I don't need one, I've never had trouble with airflow and I haven't had a fire go out on me
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,716
    You don't need one.
    ·
  • Woody69Woody69 Posts: 360
    I haven't seen a need for one either.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,179
    Had one and gave it away for the price of postage to the first to hold up hand about 2 months ago.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,056
    typically I'm a gadget guy and like lots of toys to play with, but I've never seen the need for a Turbo grate.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • hawkegghawkegg Posts: 97
    I have one and really don't like it!! It may be coming out tonight!
    ·
  • I like mine, have had it for almost 3-years

Ross
    ·
  • JCinGAJCinGA Posts: 139
    I have one and it's a POS. Save your money.
    Jim
    JCinGA
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I'm the one who got it, thanks Mickey. On the large egg I have mixed results.

I am going to try it on the medium and after that it might be offered to someone else who wants to give it a try.

It seems Ross in Ventura really loves his and if you look at his egg pictures the burn is always uniform and wide.

GG
    ·
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    I have one and really like it. It allows you to just dump your lump into the BGE and not worry about plugging the fire grate holes. Like Ross, I've had mine for about 3 years and it is still going strong. :)
    ·
  • I thought about getting one when my last BGE grate finally broke. BUT when I called my local dealer they told me it is a warranty part and I brought it in and traded it in for a new one of course at no charge.
    ·
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    If you are thinking about a turbo grate just spend the extra money and get a guru I would think.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
    ·
  • ·
  • BADaQBADaQ Posts: 159
    Thanks to all that responded. I didnt think i needed one.
    ·
  • NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Like some have said and espeically Ross... they like it. I'm a gadget guy also but have trouble cozying up to the turbo grate. Besides I have a GG Tunnel Accelerator to get my lump going. ;)
    ·
  • danny285danny285 Posts: 360
    I love my Turbo Grate, the best Eggcessory that i have, just pour in lump and light no worries about plugging air holes in grate.
    ·