Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuts of Beef to use on BGE?

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love the Prime Rib Roast I did on my BGE. The family still talks about it.

I tried to cook a Eye of Round Roast and it was terrible! Dry, tough as shoe leather and not edible. I had to cut it up into little tiny bits and put it in soup. It was still terrible.

So other than Prime Rib Roast what other cuts of roasts are good to cook on the BGE? My wife likes pot roast which I cook in a crock pot until it falls apart. I could always buy a Cast Iron dutch oven and cook a pot roast until tender but would really like a smoked roast.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Hungry

I have never done an Eye of Round on the egg, there are to many other cuts I tend to like better. My last Roast Beast came out so well I have another waiting in the wings.
    DSC_0002_640.jpg
    DSC_0004_640.jpg

The sell by date on this one is 3/12/2010 so I am in no rush, I might let it wet age until a week later then that. It will keep well in the cyrovac packaging in the bottom of my frig. This one I will pull at a lower internal temp so it is a bit more rare. I did a slow roast on the last one and it was great. This cut has great flavor and is good for sandwich's, Arby's style or French Dip are great or sliced on a plate with gravy like a typical roast (with a Yorkshire Pudding YUM!!!).

Gator

• mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Options
    Try to find Gator Bait's original post about the cut of meat he has in his picture. I thought he received some good responses.

Otherwise, for questions like yours and others, simply click on the recipe link in the forum...it should be in the upper right side of the screen. When I simply clicked on it, I found 82 recipes for beef. That's a good place to start.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Eye of Round is fine cooked rare/med rare, then chilled overnight and sliced paper thin on a slicer. Beyond that, you can braise it forever and ever. It will never be a tender piece of meat....it is well worked/used by the cow, and very lean, so in a braise, it lacks fat and flavor. (It really DOES make a great roast for sammies, but it has to be chilled, then sliced paper thin).
    Recommendations for roasts is pretty consistent to what we like as steaks....A Rib Roast, A tenderloin Roast, A strip roast..... The other roasts are definately IMO better braised (which can certainly be done in the Egg in a Dutch Oven!!!)
    Fire up that Dutch Oven, and open a whole bunch of new horizons!!! B)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Try Clay's pulled beef - you won't be disappointed

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=431

In addition to the above recommendations, I highly recommend a tri tip

Tri tip
    101_2279640x480.jpg

Pulled beef
    IMG_0625800x600.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Like LC said thin sliced is great. marinade over night in Italian dressing and then onto the egg. cool and slice thin for a nice roast beef sammmy!
    008.jpg
    005-1.jpg
    006.jpg
    007-1.jpg
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Cook that eye rare and it would work out acceptable for sandwiches. A good first cut blade chuck roast will work. Any roast from the hind of the steer will need to be rare or tenderized with something. Even a top sirloin roast would be tough if cooked to well done.
    E
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Hungry,

LC is so right on Eye of Round.I cooked an eye of round last week. I coated it with a pepper blend to have a cajun flavor. I cooked it indirect until it hit 125 internal. Wrapped it in foil and stuck it in the fridge for 24 hours and then sliced it thin.

Best Cajun RB I ever had. We ate it on a fishing trip this last weekend.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Here's a link to that post, Question For The Aging Experts .

Gator

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've used chuck roasts to make pulled beef as one other poster said - I used Clay's recipe. I have also made pot roast in a dutch oven and it came out nice and smoky.

A Dutch Oven is a great accessory for the BGE since you can make bread and meats in it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • rrgator
    rrgator Posts: 25
    Options
    On Clay's pulled beef recipe, which I have never tried nor had, it says "3 Choice Chuck Roasts". How big would these three Choice Chuck Roasts be?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I don't think it really matters as long as they aren't extremely small or large. Most markets package them at about the same weight - probably 2-3 pounds each. I've used all sizes of chuck roasts when I make the pulled beef. Try to get them at about the same size and cook to temperature.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Mike, thats a good document to have, I saved a copy. Thanks!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You're welcome. They don't have much good to say about eye round though. Do what my mom does - cook it to an internal of about 375! It's really tender and oh so...............DRY!! :) She means well though. Actually, it's pretty tasty... and gravy helps. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I actually like it a little more done myself. I'm thinking of doing one to make "French Dip" type sammy's soon, "brasing" the slices on beef broth and drippings until much of the pink is gone, then serving some of the Jus on the side.
  • my (now) wife and i went to my parents' for dinner one night. mom had an eye of the round in the oven when we got there. we had a few gin and tonics, then got the idea to go golfing. just went to a par -3 executive course, 9 holes i think.

before we left my mom wrapped it in foil and put the oven down to 250 or so.

we ate it when we got back. dad had to run it through the table saw to get slices off it. hahahah