Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon, a love story (pic heavy)

Jeffersonian
Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After a week of curing, turning, drying and smoking, my first foray into the world of charcuterie is complete. Here's a photo essay of what was done.

Pork belly prep

Bought a frozen pork belly from a local butcher shop, thawed and trimmed it square:
DSC01368.jpg

It was then rubbed down with a curing mix of 1/4 cup kosher salt, 2 tsp pink salt (Prague powder #1), 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tsp ground black pepper, put into a plastic bag and put into a refrigerator for seven days, flipping and redistributing the cure every other day:
DSC01370.jpg

Smoking

I pulled the cured belly out after seven days, then returned to the fridge for a day to dry, uncovered on a rack. It then went onto my LBGE around noon today for what Ruhlman calls a "hot smoke." I put the belly on as soon as the fire got going to put as much cold smoke onto it as possible. It was just RO lump with maybe 5-6 chunks of sugar maple for smoke.
DSC01374.jpg

It took a while for the Egg to reach 200* dome, but the smoke was dense and sweet:
DSC01375.jpg

I had three thermometers working, the DigiQ:
DSC01377.jpg

An AccuRite on the grate:
DSC01376.jpg

And another in the thick end of the belly itself (not shown). I was aiming for about 180* at the grate, which I was able to reach in about an hour with the dome set at 200*. Eventually, the grate and dome temperatures began to converge, so I gradually dropped the dome to 185* and the grate temp held right at 180-181* for the remainder of the smoke.

The smoke lasted maybe 70-80 minutes, after which it was just lump and very little smoke coming from the Egg. Overall, the cook lasted right at six (6) hours to get the internal temperture of the bacon to 150*. I pulled and let cool:
DSC01378.jpg
DSC01379.jpg

I had to cut it to get it into the Ziplock, so here's a section of the finished product:
DSC01380.jpg

We just couldn't resist trying it out, so I put it into a frying pan at low temperature to render the fat and brown the bacon nicely:
DSC01381.jpg

Verdict: Very good, and a trifle salty. I definitely need a good slicer if I'm going to do this again...these were little bacon steaks. Not that anyone was complaining.

Thanks to Stripsteak for inspiration, guidance and patience.

Comments