Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Premium beef roast what to do with it

Options
probie
probie Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have about ten to fifteen premium beef various cuts roast (very low fat content) having a heck of a time find a way to cook them to where they are moist and juicey and not tough and dry. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!! I am open to any ideas. The only one I have left is to make jerky out of all of it

Comments

• what is "premium beef"?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I have seen some meat stickers, that say premium. Not the grade, as you well know.

Mike
  • Yeah. Just can't help the dude unless we know what kind of cuts, how he's been cooking them, and what he means by "premium". Other than that, no problem.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi probie

I don't know what you have for cuts of meat but this is what I did with my Roast Beef. It came out very good, I have a larger one that I am going to cook much the same way in a week or two.

Good luck,

Gator

• probie
    Options
    The beef is from a belgian blue and a limosine cross which in turn make a very lean and low fat beef.I have top sirloin roast and very very lean chuck roast and arm roast and a couple of others
    Everytime I cook one of these roast the turn out dry and tough
  • the only thing that makes it dry and tough is overcooking.

how are you cooking them, and what temp do you cook them to?

sounds like heirloom beef. could be interesting stuff.

remember, though. a cheap supermarket tenderloin is low in a fat, and if overcooked it will be dry and tough.

what temp are you pulling them off the egg at? simply sounds like they are overcooked. if your family doesn't like rare or medium rare, you are going to always be in danger of overcooking them. try 135 max in the roasts. they will coast to 145 while they rest. you must rest them for ten of fifteen minutes or any juices will run out on the plate.

seriously though, meat cannot be dry unless overcooked. toughness is another issue, dependent on the cut.

but you need to tell us how you cook them, how you prefer them, and what temps you cook them to, or we can't help
  • probie
    Options
    Well I have not cooked one on the egg yet but that is going to happen within the week or weekend depended on work schedule and I was going to season one with some all purpose DP and cook it low and slow until it reaches internel temp of about 145 to 150 pull and wrap. the last two or three I cooked was done in a crockpot and the ending results was :sick: