Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Chili!

Options
Jasper
Jasper Posts: 378
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I decided to do my usual crock pot chili recipe in my DO on the egg. Turned out great and mind blowing spicey hot too! :evil:

I used ground chicken, sliced jalapenos, whole chili peppers (the really spicey ones), red and yellow sweet peppers, carrots, mushrooms, black beans, kidney beans, various chili powders, cumin, black pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, oregano, Italian spice blend, vegitable spice blend, garlic and probably a few other things got thrown in there too. :laugh:

Cooked at 300-375 for 3.5hrs with lots of hickory chunks thrown in. Has a nice smokey taste to it now.

Start of cook.
DSC01960.jpg

Midway through.
DSC01966.jpg

Finished, ready to serve.
DSC01968.jpg

Comments

• Arkansas Eggerback
    Options
    Chili looks great!! Do you have your DO sitting on something on top of the platesetter? What is that and is that just to keep the bottom of the DO from scorching the chili? Thanks, I just got a DO and need all the help I can get.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I do the DO like that all the time, all I do if put a few ceramic bricks underneath the pot and it works fine. Even foil balls work OK, you just need a little airspace.

Doug
  • Jasper
    Options
    Yeah, I had 4 small firebricks (I cut them myself so they look a little crooked) on top of the plate setter for the DO to sit on. I've read in many posts here the DO should sit on something.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Dang, wrong spot.

• maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    Nice job Jasper,

that looks delicious!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Very pretty. Sure hope it tasted as good as it looks.

GG
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Yeah what those guys said, nice looking chili.

Doug
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

It really doesn't make a lot of difference how you use the DO in the egg as long as you don't get the egg too hot.

No real reason to use the plate setter other than something to put the DO on.

I love using the spider inverted, great accessory to use with the DO.

GG
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Jasper, That is one terrific looking pot of love!! Nice job!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    Options
    Looks great. I'm hosting a chili-cookoff in a month. Care to share the recipe? I'm trying out a few recipes b/f the event, to see what to submit.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Larry, Are you going to the Denverfest this year? I hope to see you there!!
    Chili cookoff sounds fun!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Nice pot of chili Jasper

Ross
  • Jasper
    Options
    Thanks! No real recipe, pretty much just the ingredients I listed. I tend to just throw stuff in there because I've done it so many times on the crock pot. I usually use 3 different chili powders...ancho, Mexican and generic. I keep adding stuff till it tastes "right". ;)
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Nice cook Jasper! Nice name as well. My five year old shares it with ya ;) Did you notice a metallic taste in the chili. I always have a metal taste to mine and have always been told that the acid in the tomatoes reacts with the cast iron. I have a porcelan coated cast iron I use now.