Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast

Options
Willie
Willie Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of doing this roast on a raised grid direct at 250*, shooting for medium rare, will this be tender?
Thanks
Willie.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Did you mean to put a picture up?

Medium rare, and, tender, not sure.

GG
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    GG
    I have no luck posting a picture, I will try this cook and if it is tough I will cook it in mt Ci with some liquid.
    Tks for responding
    Willie
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Except for one small section, sometimes called chuck eye or chuck steak, beef chuck roasts (there are several variations) are not suitable for medium rare cooking. Most of it will be quite tough. They are good for roasting, better with braising with liquid, and very good for lo-n-slow for pulled beef. But the lo-n-slo takes at least 5 hours, usually more like 7, and even then often requires foiling.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Willie:
    I just did two chuck roasts (Chuck & Jim), each weighing in at a bit over 4.5 lbs.
    They got a Bourbon (Jim Beam) Marinade for 24 hrs. in the bag, in the fridge.
    Sorry, I thought I took a pic, but I either didn't or I can't find it.
    No matter, the roasts got the marinade and bagged.

Drunk & Dirty Marinade:
    1 C. soy sauce
    1/2 C. bourbon
    1/4 C. Worcestershire
    2 T. brown sugar
    1/2 t. ground ginger
    4 cloves garlic, crushed

Then onto the Egg, set up indirect, at 250 F. with a goodly ammount of Wicked Good lump and Wild Cherry smoke-wood.
    Should take about 4 to 5 hours to get to an inturnal of 165 F.

ChuckJima.jpg

Once at 165-170 F.

ChuckJim001a.jpg

The finish is a braise in the Dutch oven.With liquid (the reserved marinade and some water) about 1/2 way up
    OTOH, these looked and smelled SOOOO GOOD right now it was hard to put them in the D.O. but I did!
    The D.O. then gets a cover and another hour or so to a temp. of 185-190 F. for slicing...It was wonderful.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Let us know where you are having problems with posting pictures, I am sure one of us can help you out and get you on the picture posting road.

Here is my attempt at a roast cook... (liquid method)
    doroast7.jpg

Details are in the recipe section of the forum and here is the link for details http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=473938&catid=1

GG
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    ive cooked my chuck roasts vertically in a vrack...over mesquite lumps until they are about 190-195...

its like burnt ends, its fricking amazing good.

on a diet now, no chuck roasts for me.