Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dawgs... PEARL Dawgs!!

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, last night's foray into natural casing hot dogs was a little less than satisfying. I bought Mucke's and Hummel along with split top buns. Grilled the buttered buns on a CI griddle and they were outstanding! The dogs, not so much. Not bad, just no better than the prepackaged ones I usually buy. Maybe not even as good.

I had heard that Pearls were sold by Stop & Shop, but they haven't made it to Connecticut stores. So, this morning, I called a Stop & Shop in Mass and they DO carry them!! And only 18 miles away, due north! That's even closer than the Wicked Good distribution center! :)

When the weather warms up enough, maybe I will combat the negative effects of all those dogs by going to get them on my bicycle! A nice Saturday morning ride. B)

Gotta go now... headed north. What? I can't have hot dogs two days in a row?? :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I would like to try the Pearl Dogs also. Until presented with the chance I will stick with the old stanby of "Nathans" from my neighborhood Publix.
    Oh, and there is only one "Dawg" and it don't do in a bun. :P
  • Carolina Q
    These are Massachusetts dawgs. Is that an oxymoron or something?

The packaging is red and black - what more do you want? :lol:

hdpack.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    A man runs a outdoor corner hot dog stand just north of Boston. He cooks them on an egg at high temps, uses only Pearl hot dogs, and serves then blackened. To prevent curling (and increase flavor) he makes several small across the dog slices on opposite sides. His stand is very popular.

I have yet to try Pearl hot dogs but am looking forward to the time I do. They will ship them (10 lbs minimum) anywhere with access to them by their website.

If you try the pearl hot dogs, I would appreciate your opinion.

Spin
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Hey Spin good to hear from you.I bought 10# of Pearls 1/4# dogs and really like them.

Larry

http://www.fredsfranks.com/
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Hi YB. I'm going to order some today. That is the website of the hot dog stand I was talking about.

Our best to you and yours,
    Spin
  • Carolina Q
    Success!!! Bought a 2.5 lb box of 1/4 pounders! Should last me thru the weekend! :lol: Only $11.99 too...that's cheaper than the $5/lb prepackaged dogs I usually buy! They even had extra long split top buns to go with these huge suckers. I don't recall seeing the long buns in my local stores. :)

Life is good!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsBnG9iRdMg

The one and only place to meet Stripsteak!!If you can identify him he'll buy your lunch for you!
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Her's a Pearl from a recent cook
    DSC_0001_1-2.jpg
    With some great Chili
    DSC_0003_1-1.jpg
    Half eaten
    DSC_0020.jpg
    Deliscioso!
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Now I am going to have to do some tonight! :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Man, that chili looks awesome!!! I've never tried to make my own, which means I don't usually have chili on home cooked dogs cuz I don't like any canned stuff I've ever tried. I did find a brand today that I've never tried before. Maybe it'll be okay. But if yours tastes as good as it looks, you HAVE to share your recipe!! You just HAVE to!! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I'm also a Pearl's convert and was happy to pay more for the shipping than the franks cost! BTW you actually have to talk to their controller in person to order so call Monday.
    IMG_0839.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    It's hard to beat Chuck Lane's Varsity Club knock off sauce. I make double batches of this delicious sauce and then freeze it like hockey pucks. 1/4 of a cup is perfect for 2 dogs.
    Here's the recipe:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=408
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    and me with 3 lbs of 80% that I was just about to vac seal! hahaha! thanks! wonder what I'll do with the can I just bought?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    We love them,too! :laugh:

PearlFrankfurters.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Mike, you dont really mean tht you've never made chili?
  • Carolina Q
    Yep, that's exactly what I mean. Hot dog chili or otherwise. Does that make me a bad person? :huh: :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Steve what website did you use to order those pearl dogs?
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Jerry, I just googled Pearl hot dogs. You have to order them by phone.
  • ok thx, thats what i thought
  • Carolina Q
    Amazing! Drove to Mass last week to buy Pearls (36 mile round trip)... from the same grocery chain that has a store just two miles from my house (where I do most of my shopping as it's on my way to everywhere). The Connecticut stores don't carry Pearls though.

So, after tasting these delicacies, I decided it was worth a shot so I went to the Contact Us link on their website, gave them the product name and UPC and asked them to carry Pearls here. That was last Saturday. This morning, I got a call from my local store telling me they will now be stocking them and that they should have them in TOMORROW! One week after I asked!!

I am impressed!! Hope they sell well enough so they continue to carry them. ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut