Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long should a gasket last?

Options
greengatoregg
greengatoregg Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Santa was nice enough to bring me a LG over Christmas. I use it 2 to 3 times a week, and have done 3 lo and slow's since the delivery. I noticed smoke coming out from the rim on the last Butt. I would have thought that the gasket would have lasted longer. I'm cooking a turkey and a butt this coming week and wondering if I should take tomorrow and replace the gasket.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    greengatoregg,

Don't worry about the gasket. If you are going to change it use nomex, rutland or coltronics.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    This may sound crazy but my LG Egg is a little over 10 years old and I still have the original gasket (or partially crusted remains) of a gasket! I bought a replacement over five or so years ago but never changed it. Not sure why, perhaps lazy and nervous of messing it up.
    Bottom line, I figured I can still hold temps easily at 250, 300, 350 or 400 so why possibly mess up a good thing?

Just my 2 cents
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I agree with Legallyblind. I have never changed the one on my 14 year old egg. I fried the one on my mini in the first month and did replace that one.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    totally agree with above post... I would suggest that you check the alignment of the lid and base with a dollar bill - close lid on a dollar bill and try to pull out - should show resistance...

If you have a spot that there is no resistance, loosen the bands and adjust the lid to fit tighter. I did this with mine twice in the first 3 months of using (over 3years ago) and only have a crusty piece of felt left. It will hold a 225 cook all day, and I don't have to worry when doing a 600 pizza cook.

happy eggin
    Kent Madison MS