Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why not bricquets?

JalopyBob
JalopyBob Posts: 175
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Other than a lot more ash than lump, most everyone says use only lump in the Egg, no bricquets. Why not?

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    They have a lot of other stuff in them that doesn't belong in your Egg or on your food. Plus they don't burn nearly as long as your lump will.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The amount of ash they produce will choke off the fire. -RP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I guess you could.It would be like puttin Regular unleaded in a Lambroghini.I guess it would still run but I'm not sure how long or well.A cool thing would be to try both and pictorally document the results and post the documentary and pics on the forum.It would be interesting and helpful. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Briquettes will work in the egg, however, there are a lot of fillers which create more ash. Briquettes, do not burn as hot or nearly as clean as lump or nearly as long.

Briquettes burn about 300° - 400° and lump will burn as high as 2000°.

There is a difference in the taste of food cooked with briquettes, propane and lump.

GG
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    HI JalopyBob

I have a Lge egg for over a year, cook mostly direct,
    last year I experimented also with just trying
    Briquettes. Started in a weber chimney, put a good
    amount in egg, Was plenty hot enough to do a Direct cook
    for over a hour,even though I did not cook that long.
    Results
    Will never do it again, WHY? Flavor pure and simple,
    The lump charcoal has so much better bbq flavor,
    in my opinion. I could really tell the difference in flavor from briquettes to Lump. Try it for yourself.
    ON other side I did not try a LO and Slow with briquettes. I do know they will burn long enough for a direct cook though. thats why always stick with a quality lump. Good luck BullyC
    PS want to learn more about lump, great site
    WWW.Nakedwhiz.com
  • You ask 'why not' I ask why?? If you have to ask-