Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mixon's fast pork butt

DrugCoder
DrugCoder Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone posted a while back how Myron Mixon did a fast pork butt when he did the class at the mothership. I've searched and searched and can't seem to find that post.

Does anyone remember the post or the method?

Comments

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    He injected it until it was almost twice its original size. He put it on the egg at 350-375 (indirect)for a couple of hours to pick up some of the smoke flavor. Then he wrapped it in foil for 3-4 hours. I thought he put them on around 10:30 in the morning and they were done somewhere between 3:30 and 4:00pm.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I heard about that also, and gave it a try sort of, without injecting. I started at 250 for 2 hours, then bumped it up to 350 for the duration. It(9#) finished in approx 8 hours instead of 12-14. I could tell no difference.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I did a 5 lb butt on my large a few weeks ago that I injected. I did it for about 5 hours @ 350 dome, it was fantastic. My next pork butt is going to be like this again. Excited to get my small next week, wondering if it has enough gas in the tank to do 350 for 5-6 hours ...
  • tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    jabinns wrote:
    I did a 5 lb butt on my large a few weeks ago that I injected. I did it for about 5 hours @ 350 dome, it was fantastic. My next pork butt is going to be like this again. Excited to get my small next week, wondering if it has enough gas in the tank to do 350 for 5-6 hours ...

This would be useful.........

Willing to keep us updated?
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Not sure how long you can go on the small at 350 but I did go about 17 hrs for this 8# butt at 250-275. Just be sure to keep the ashes cleaned out, not much room below the grate on the small. Mike

DSC00658.jpg
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    I just checked my notes from Myron's class and I have down that he said the cook usually takes from 4 to 5 hours and that he wraps in foil with apple juice the last hour of cooking.
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Awesome! Just what I was looking for. Thanks! I will be trying this method tomorrow morning.
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Please let us know how it works for you. I haven't tried it yet but plan on trying it soon.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    tjl5709 wrote:
    jabinns wrote:

This would be useful.........

Willing to keep us updated?

I will. I put the deposit down on the small, should be here in about 8 days.